Bela Lugosi at the Lyceum in August 1951

I'm researching Bela Lugosi's British tour of Dracula in 1951. From August 6-11, he appeared at the Lyceum . Did you see the play? Did you meet him? Do you have any cuttings or a programme? I'd love to hear from you.

Andi Brooks

I'm researching Bela Lugosi's British tour of Dracula in 1951. From August 6-11, he appeared at the Lyceum . Did you see the play? Did you meet him? Do you have any cuttings or a programme? I'd love to hear from you.

Andi Brooks

I was only four in 1951, but from what my mother tells me, I would have scared him to death. :hihi:

Andi Brooks

hiya i'd written on another thread about a mate of mine whose father worked at the victoria hotel at this time, once he told us that he was working as a porter and was working the lift one night when someone asked him to take him up in the lift and when he saw who it was he said he never took his eyes off him once and was glad when the guest got off, it was bella lugosi.

Hi Andi-Brooks - Forum member GLOS saw the show - see the first post on this thread. Search this Forum on the word 'Lugosi' and you'll find a few more references.

hiya i'd written on another thread about a mate of mine whose father worked at the victoria hotel at this time, once he told us that he was working as a porter and was working the lift one night when someone asked him to take him up in the lift and when he saw who it was he said he never took his eyes off him once and was glad when the guest got off, it was bella lugosi.

That's a wonderful story. Do you know the name of your mate's father? I've written a book on Lugosi in Britain, now I'm preparing an updated new edition. All help will be credited.

Is the hotel what is now known as the Holiday Inn the Royal Victoria Hotel?

Bela Lugosi's dead.

Hi Andi-Brooks - Forum member GLOS saw the show - see the first post on Search this Forum on the word 'Lugosi' and you'll find a few more references.

Thanks for the tip, I'll follow your advice.

That's a wonderful story. Do you know the name of your mate's father? I've written a book on Lugosi in Britain, now I'm preparing an updated new edition. All help will be credited.

Is the hotel what is now known as the Holiday Inn the Royal Victoria Hotel?

hiya my mates fathers name was robert bradley, he lived on egerton street, broomhall districl sheffield. he always said when he realised who it was he was having shivers down his back, not often that your alone in a lift with a real vampire is it ,ha ha. and yes i think it is. it is the one at the top of the old station approach, it might be of no use to you but i was surprised the old victoria station was closed down, it was i thought the best of the two, i remember to get to the platforms you went through a tunnel under all the lines i remember the last time i used it it was for a fishing trip in the 50s down the witham.

Edited by willybite

...Is the hotel what is now known as the Holiday Inn the Royal Victoria Hotel?
Yes - here's a 1950s photo of the hotel.

Bela Lugosi certainly played at the Lyceum and changes are that a number of the theatre’s advertising bills are still available for you to look at. But while I know my memory is not what it was, might there be any chance that he made two visits? I remember a Star photgrapher catching him along with his equally scary Frankenstein film star Boris Karloff, certainly between the years 1945-46

when they stayed at the Grand Hotel