Dog fight on the moor

It is quite 'safe' to have a go at the police on this forum, but another matter face to face.

Then, we would see who is a scaredycat.

I think their input on this forum is superb, and I reckon a few posters cards are marked!

Pity they didn't turn up when my car got stolen then ;) Did you miread my post as I haven't a problem with them turning up on the day but to waste resources on an investigation afterwards is just down right ridiculous !!!!

Maybe they are investigating with intention to dealing with the owner of the dog which was not on a lead... this is what we would want to happen is it not?

i was bit by a ****sooooooooooooooo

I am guessing that's a shih tzu :D

Lots of dogs bite and are aggressive, my old westie I had when I was little was aggressive and hated children, he didn't last very long.

I just wish the people on here would use the same amount of energy they use slating Staffies to petition for a change regarding the licensing and policing of dog ownership and breeding! Then one day we may actually see a change.

Its a fight between dogs, it happens, why not waste some of your resources/our money on investigating a true crime for once :)

its great to see the police are taking it seriously..... do u think its ok for dogs to attack other dogs.. and kill them in some cases..... i hope not!!!!

i bet if it was your dog u would want some action taken.... but let me guess u dont have a dog cause if u did i think your opinion would be different!

Officers from the City Centre SNA attended this incident following a number of calls from the public.

The dogs were seperated using gas. Enquiries are now ongoing regarding the matter. If you witnessed the incident we would like to hear from you. Please ring 0114 2202020 and ask to speak to PC 2941 Briggs.

im really pleased to see that dog attacks are been taken serious these days well done :D

Yes clever clogs its a pity that the previous poster got her story wrong then about splitting them up with water, it was obviously incorrect and I can only go with what's written on here can't I ;)

Oh, i'll let you off then. Yes that previous poster did get it wrong. I think it was the police gas that separated the dogs. Good job the police did turn up then!

I totally agree, it is down to the owners. Unfortunately there is no requirement for owners to be checked, as to whether they are responsible enough to look after a dog or not. Most of the time it is the way the dog is brought up and trained that is the problem, yes they're cute when they are young but if you don't teach them and train them from a young age they can be dangerous. Some idiots like to use dogs as a show of their 'hardness' which is even more ridiculous! Most dogs are caring, loving animals but you can't treat them like a weapon or they'll act like one. I definitely agree they should be on a lead in a public place, whether they are dangerous or not, and its irresponsible to think otherwise.

Well said:)

These incidents all too often seem to have that inevitability about them though, don't they?

True, but what else do people expect with staffys? It's their natural instinct to attack, which is why we see so many reports of staffy attacks on adults, kids, other dogs, etc. Funny how you never see similar reports about other breeds, isn't it?

I see the usual suspects have already been on this thread spouting their usual nonsense, but no matter how much you hide your head in the sand, you can't deny a staffy's natural instinct is to attack.

Can't believe people are having a go at the police!

They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I like the police!

Exactly! They cannot win, whatever they do! It bugs me when people say an event was totally over-policed. You have to plan for what may happen! They would be the first to complain if there weren't enough police to deal with a situation. One word of advice, police are human beings, not psychic extra-terrestrial beings from another solar system! :rant:

I was in Poundland when this happened. I've had dogs in my family all my life so this made me feel sick and shaky. I was stuck in the shop and didn't know what was happening until i finally managed to get to the till. I was upset and disgusted that so many people were stood around watching it like it was some kind of entertainment. I didn't stop to watch, i left as soon as i could.

If you can't control your dog you shouldn't have one. It's not the dogs fault this happened but the owners. I didn't hear either of the owners actually shout at their pets they were just trying to pull them apart. I think if the dogs had heard their masters voice it might have helped a tiny bit.

True, but what else do people expect with staffys? It's their natural instinct to attack, which is why we see so many reports of staffy attacks on adults, kids, other dogs, etc. Funny how you never see similar reports about other breeds, isn't it?

I see the usual suspects have already been on this thread spouting their usual nonsense, but no matter how much you hide your head in the sand, you can't deny a staffy's natural instinct is to attack.

A staffy's natural instinct might be to attack but the right owner can help manage this and make the dog a very loving one. Unfortunately, it seems that there are some staffy-owners who use their dogs as status symbols and actually encourage the attack-instinct. These people should never be allowed a dog in the first place - whether its a staffy or not.

I was in Poundland when this happened. I've had dogs in my family all my life so this made me feel sick and shaky. I was stuck in the shop and didn't know what was happening until i finally managed to get to the till. I was upset and disgusted that so many people were stood around watching it like it was some kind of entertainment. I didn't stop to watch, i left as soon as i could.

If you can't control your dog you shouldn't have one. It's not the dogs fault this happened but the owners. I didn't hear either of the owners actually shout at their pets they were just trying to pull them apart. I think if the dogs had heard their masters voice it might have helped a tiny bit.

I do agree with some of what you said in your post. I personally don't think that people were watching for entertainment though to be honest. Some possibly were, but I think most people I spoke to looked visibly shocked and upset. I think its natural to look, because its not something you see very often and I think most people were a bit in shock and probably, like me wanted to help and wanted to know that the dogs were going to be OK. I did stay and look, I'm not sick or anything, but I needed to know that those dogs were going to be separated soon. It upset me for the rest of the day and I couldn't stop thinking about it in the night when I went to bed. I did actually feel sick to my stomach and very shaky when I could see what was going on. I agree that the owners didn't really talk to their dogs much. I did once hear the owner of the staffy on a lead, shout to his dog, but that was it and the dog didn't take any notice! Maybe they were in shock too, he looked rather white in his face. I agree with you, that you shouldn't own a dog, unless you are totally prepared to train it, love it and be totally responsible and devoted to it. You should also have great knowledge of the breed you are owning! Everyone cheered when the dogs were finally separated, everyone was very happy and relieved!