St Thomas More School

Did anyone go to St Thomas More School

On Creswick Lane at Grenoside.

I went there 1963-1970 approx. My name was

Yvonne Kelly. I had heard there was once a school reunion missed it.

Did anyone go to St Thomas More School

On Creswick Lane at Grenoside.

I went there 1963-1970 approx. My name was

Yvonne Kelly. I had heard there was once a school reunion missed it.

Hi Yvonne

I was in Glenys' class, a few years older than you

Did you see the school foto in the Star recently - from 1961?

I talk a lot about the school in my book

http://www.acmretro.com/geeor.

How are things with you. Do you have nightmares about Sister Mercy? I do

:gag:

Hi Glenys is my middle sister. Yes Sister Mercy heavens above she was a terror!!!! We kids should have scared for life.

My best recollection is of Miss Mallender and Mrs Gardener, but Mr Hermitage taught our elder sister Margaret at St Pauls and hated me with avengeance.

Do you have a younger brother as I seem to recall a Bush in my year?

went to tommy moores from when it first opened so am a lot older than you

sister mercy was a angel at the side of sister josephine if you s.m was badyou should thank god you were never taught by sister josephine

i have seen her thrash girls with the thick leather belt sisters wear

if shes in heaven then i dont want to go

Hi Glenys is my middle sister.

Do you have a younger brother as I seem to recall a Bush in my year?

That would be our Mick. He met The Queen earlier this year :)

you should thank god you were never taught by sister josephine

They were the Paramilitary wing of the Catholic Church :shocked:

That would be our Mick. He met The Queen earlier this year :)

Well come on then 'Met the queen' tell us more, often wondered what happened to Mick, never had much contact after finishing School....Shame

Hi Yvonne

yes, I remember you. I am Tony Vernon (at that time known as Antony), and my twin sister Moira and I were in your class. I'm not sure which re-union you hinted at, but I arranged one a few years ago in January 2004 . We met up in a pub in Sheffield Town Centre. Present were Myself, Moira, Marie Yale, Peter McNerney, Bernard Doneley, and Julie Bramall. Mick Bush and Anthony Cade I also contacted but they didn't show any interest in attending.

Regards

Tony

Edited by tony_vernon

Sorry.just reopening an old topic. I went to St Thomas More on Creswick Lane. I left in 1976. I remember Mrs Mattimore, Miss Jinks, Sister Veronica The Headmistress, Mr Bennett, Mr Martin, Mrs Horbury. Anyone else out there from around those times? I remember a Sheff Weds footballer, John McKenna taking us for football practice. He went on to acting. He was in Coronation Street. Oh and I remember swimming lessons in Chapleton Baths.

Yes , remember all of the above - I would have been in your class of 1976 leavers as well.

Still see John McKenna on the odd occasion , he still lives in Grenoside, great bloke.

Mr Bennett was a bit of an oddball, didn't like him at all , Mrs Mattimore was cool as was Mrs Horbury.

Seems a lifetime ago eh ?

Hi John McBlade,

Yes it seems like another life, it's so long ago now. You probably went on to St. Peters Like most of us from that school? I seem to remember more about Thomas Mores than St Peters though!

A couple more teachers I can recall are Sister Kathleen I think, who was an infant teacher. We had a student teacher in J4 called Miss Yeullot who took us for a trip around Sheff Weds footy ground which I thought was just wonderful. Although being a Blade, like yourself, very much enjoyed wearing my red and white scarf all day, as did other United supporting pupils.

On a sunny day like today we'd be taken outside to do lessons. I remember endless football in the playground and playing football BADLY for the school team! I remember kids playing marbles in the grates outside at break-time. Sometimes we would be allowed to use the cricket stuff at lunch time. I hated swimming lessons at Chapletown on Thursdays. I remember John McKenna seemingly being able to hit the ball like a bullet in football practice in the hall. I recall playing rounders during games lessons on the field at the front of the school.

Somewhere I've got a First Holy Communion photo with the class outside Thomas More Church in Parsons Cross. I'll try and dig it out. Like I say we probably mostly went on to St Petes or maybe some kids to Notre Damme or Delle a Selle. I can remember a few names now just writing this.