Sign in to follow this  

Control and restraint

the title was deliberate, got lots of hits and it provoked discussion, as in controlling members comments v the restraint needed by mods, also made me smile lots control mmmmmmmmmm

Originally posted by Abdul

Please, tell us more...

well, generally relying on pain compliance is not smart, as some people feel pain differently to others, and someone taking something, be that alcohol or other drugs of choice may not feel or take heed of any level of pain.

Other locks that actually restrict movement in addition to causing pain are more reliable, particularly if they make it difficult for the person you are restraining to damage you, themselves or anyone else.

Personally, not being a bouncer, i'd have little reason to restrain someone and should I find myself using a lock I'll use it fully and break something. I wouldn't be doing that though unless someone was attacking me.

Originally posted by Cyclone

well, generally relying on pain compliance is not smart, as some people feel pain differently to others, and someone taking something, be that alcohol or other drugs of choice may not feel or take heed of any level of pain.

Other locks that actually restrict movement in addition to causing pain are more reliable, particularly if they make it difficult for the person you are restraining to damage you, themselves or anyone else.

Personally, not being a bouncer, i'd have little reason to restrain someone and should I find myself using a lock I'll use it fully and break something. I wouldn't be doing that though unless someone was attacking me.

Going off to tangent land here Cyclone :hihi::P

something that I pm'd joeP about is having a larger ignore list.

that way we could moderate our own forum, just ignore people that (you think) only ever post rubbish.

although the mods would have to start outlawing posts that only announce to someone that they are being 'plonked' :)

i miss usenet.

Originally posted by twichibi

Going off to tangent land here Cyclone :hihi::P

abdul asked for more detail, it's only the one post though.

Originally posted by Zenmaster

something that I pm'd joeP about is having a larger ignore list.

that way we could moderate our own forum, just ignore people that (you think) only ever post rubbish.

although the mods would have to start outlawing posts that only announce to someone that they are being 'plonked' :)

i miss usenet.

And I'll be passing it forward for consideration for future technical upgrades! :)

Problem is, in terms of Moderating it's not a good way to do it, as basically you end up with a high level of noise on the Forum in general with individuals being able to filter out their particular problem users.

Part of the purpose of Moderation is to remove the dross so that the good stuff - i.e. postings about any subject, serious, humorous, technical, sporting, whatever - is visible to all.

Usenet's still there - I use it quite a lot but the un-moderated groups are hell on earth these days compared with a few years ago.

Joe

I think that both methods are needed to produce the ideal forum.

which is hopefully what we will get :)

monitor how many ignore lists someone is on. Too many and you can give them some special attention.