Sign in to follow this  

Control and restraint

Originally posted by twichibi

Hmm... seem to see this on just about every thread. Can one of the mods just explain this a bit clearer please. i.e. is it only when some of the 'swear' word is readable or can you get banned by putting *******, because that could be read as a swear word but could actually be 'chicken' :hihi:

guess not then :(

Originally posted by fox20thc

So Joe, how many threads are there on the site and do you remove them completely after a period of time? :confused:

There are 46,176 threads, according to the front page.

So Joe, how many threads are there on the site and do you remove them completely after a period of time? :confused:

On the Home page it tells us that there are 46,176 topics currently on the site. The only ones we tend to delete after a period of time are those which have passed their sell by date such as notices, for sale, accommodation available plus those the original posters asks us to remove.

tchibi: we don't ban for masked swearing only but we do if a poster continues after being asked not to. Personally, I tend to leave *** if there are no accompanying letters.

Over 46,000 topics started so far....how many are left on the site I have no idea without some database messing.

Every now and again we kill off certain types of posts - For Sale and Wanted Ads, quite a bit of stuff from 'Bored', old Jobs / Accomodation stuff. These posts are permanently deleted to free up database space and improve performance. This is why your post count may drop sometimes.

Other posts get archived.

Joe

Originally posted by JoeP

Actually, cyclone, I've made the attempt on numerous occasions now to keep these threads going.

And as long as they don't get in to specifics about individual decisoions or name calling towards certain Mods, as often takes place, we'll try and keep it here.

Sunshineyday - the reason why these things aren't discussed is that any attempt usually degenerates in to a slanging match and I'm not happy for that to happen.

If members have specific concerns or ideas they can PM any of teh Mods or use Contact Us. I get several useful messages from members each week, and use the suggestions where appropriate.

The site rules are set by the site owner; we effectively sign up to those rules when we agree the terms and conditions of the site.

Joe

I said I was glad that I appeared to be wrong.

I report my own posts when it's something I want a mod to see, (for example "why have you posted this thread twelve times?").

Without meaning to be overly cynical/pessimistic, what the OP has described is just the internet in general. If you go to any community website such as this one, regardless of the website subject, there'll always be people flaming each other, prolonging conflicts and trolling. You just have to accept it.

One thing I've noticed in general is that the bigger a site gets, the worse the atmosphere gets. IMO you can either have a small, friendly site (in relation to hits), or a large abusive site. I've never encountered any discussion site which has both of these. :(

Some people believe that teh Forum exists to be their playground - it isn't. If a thread on a topic dies, so be it. Another thread can easily be started.

Too right Joe and these people need talking to.

There is far too much frivolity on here. We need serious people like Kirky,owdlad and Don. PS HERE is Owdlad reading this thread. :|

Originally posted by Daley

Without meaning to be overly cynical/pessimistic, what the OP has described is just the internet in general. If you go to any community website such as this one, regardless of the website subject, there'll always be people flaming each other, prolonging conflicts and trolling. You just have to accept it.

One thing I've noticed in general is that the bigger a site gets, the worse the atmosphere gets. IMO you can either have a small, friendly site (in relation to hits), or a large abusive site. I've never encountered any discussion site which has both of these. :(

True to some degree, though I do believe that you can have a civilised site of any size; just requires some planning and control.

What some people refer to as friendly, others think of as 'cliquey' and exclusive.

We try to walk the line here and, I think, on the whole succeed. But we won't please all the people all the time. :)

Joe

Originally posted by viking

We need serious people like Kirky,owdlad and Don.

Hmmmm. Check out this thread http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70786

Let's have more people that call others pigs because they lost an arguement, good idea. You only mentioned those people because they're your mates.

Originally posted by viking

Too right Joe and these people need talking to.

There is far too much frivolity on here. We need serious people like Kirky,owdlad and Don. PS HERE is Owdlad reading this thread. :|

Viking,

We've had this chat before via Forum thread and PM - jokes and humour are fine in the right place. If people decide to hijack serious threads with their humour and other users object, then action gets taken.

That way we're being fair to the people who want to read serious posts without extraneous material that they may not find as funny as the posters of the humorous asides believe them to be.

And people who want an audience for their wit and wisdom still have the 'Bored' section of teh site to post in.

Joe

Originally posted by twichibi

Hmmmm. Check out this thread http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70786

Let's have more people that call others pigs because they lost an arguement, good idea. You only mentioned those people because they're your mates.

REALLY Do you think I would associate with such Rif-Raf.

The thought appauls me.

:hihi:

material that they may not find as funny as the posters of the humorous asides believe them to be.

Joe

Almost forgot about students and chavs :rolleyes: