Sign in to follow this  

Control and restraint

the mods don't and can't read every thread. They investigate whenever someone uses the "report this post" option, so obviously it will depend on who else is reading the thread as to what sort of posts get reported.

I've never been banned (yet), but have a few times pm'd mods about some decision (normally just as a bystander too it) and sometimes it is well received and other times it is not. I'd say it comes down to how secure the particular moderator is, as people secure in their position/power are generally open to discussion on a decision (even if they have no intention of changing it).

Moderation recently has been (IMO) slightly better than say 6 months ago, as there are less threads which disappear with no warning or explanation, that's one thing that I particularly dislike and have never found the need to do whilst moderating other sites.

joe p

i am not wanting to cause problems for the mods at all, but i do feel that it is important to discuss this stuff with members from time to time.

maybe a policy of only getting involved if threads are reported could be a way forward, that way it is less based on mods own judgement.

Just a thought

ps - guess this one won't be removed afterall as several mods have now entered the discussion, glad to be wrong though this time :clap:

Originally posted by Cyclone

ps - guess this one won't be removed afterall as several mods have now entered the discussion, glad to be wrong though this time :clap:

ROFLMAO :clap: :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by fox20thc

- No swearing (including ma$ked

Hmm... seem to see this on just about every thread. Can one of the mods just explain this a bit clearer please. i.e. is it only when some of the 'swear' word is readable or can you get banned by putting *******, because that could be read as a swear word but could actually be 'chicken' :hihi:

Welcome to the forum sunshineyday :wave:

In my opinion, the Mods can't win. I've recently been exchanging PMs with a Mod on the subject of moderating. I think they do a good job overall.

The Mods don't put up with offensive and abusive posters, and edit and/or ban as appropriate. Sometimes debates become very heated, and a cooling off time is called for - and a thread will be closed for a time and then re-opened. Even something as seemingly uninteresting as Michael Jackson had lead to tempers being frayed. (Edit: OK to all Michael Jackson fans, I acknowledge that he is seemingly interesting! :hihi: Phew! That was a close shave - must moderate what I say in future!).

I have had my own issues with the Mods on occasions. But, it is Geoff's forum; he sets the rules, and the Mods apply them. On the occasions that I have disagreed with a Mod, I get over it quickly and move on.

If you do have a specific issue with a Mod, use PM to discuss. Following a recent similar discussion on moderating, I have now started using Report This Post more often. Indeed, last week, I actually reported a post that I had made! :suspect::hihi:

Actually, cyclone, I've made the attempt on numerous occasions now to keep these threads going.

And as long as they don't get in to specifics about individual decisoions or name calling towards certain Mods, as often takes place, we'll try and keep it here.

Sunshineyday - the reason why these things aren't discussed is that any attempt usually degenerates in to a slanging match and I'm not happy for that to happen.

If members have specific concerns or ideas they can PM any of teh Mods or use Contact Us. I get several useful messages from members each week, and use the suggestions where appropriate.

The site rules are set by the site owner; we effectively sign up to those rules when we agree the terms and conditions of the site.

Joe

Originally posted by JBee

It's a wierd one this....

There are some threads on here that seem to catch the Moderator's attention with little need. A common prompt seems to be to ask to keep on topic.

But then there are other threads which go totally off on a tangent, or where people expressive wildly offensive or aggressive views, and the mods don't seem to notice.

However, they are all volunteers so I don't know whether they get chance to read all the threads. Maybe some just slip through the net?

Maybe they should be more lenient and it should be up to us to ask for assistance. For example, if you are contributing to a thread that you know is getting offensive, you should PM a mod for assistance.

Or something.... :confused:

heres the creepy bit, i think most mods do a good job controlling most things.

however to raise issues with some of Jb's post.(not saying jbs wrong but they are points that i have also picked up on).

how can typing be agressive?

what is actually off topic? some posts need to go off topic to keep it open.

is it relevant if a mod finds the contents of a post boring?

is spelling - typing so critical to the forum?

i do agree wholeheartedly that offensive comments should be reported instantly by the person who finds it offensive, and not left for a kind soul to speak up.

The one thing I find realing annoying is when I see a post with a title that looks interesting and when I open it it is maybe 3 or 4 pages long, and it starts off really well, with points raised on both sides.

Then suddenly it starts to descend into general banter between 2 or 3 posters, going backwards and forwards on anything except the topic in question.

By the time it does get back on the subject the 3 or 4 pages are actually only 1 page of proper discussion, the rest of the pages are this banter.

I know the mods do sometimes try to get back to the topic but obviously some times it doesn't always work.

This is just my opinion but on some threads I have stop reading them them because I got fed up of ploughing through the banter to get to the topic. When the Mods spot this happening would it be possible to remove the unecessary posts and just leave the relevant ones.

Otherwise this is a very good forum.

Originally posted by valentine

When the Mods spot this happening would it be possible to remove the unecessary posts and just leave the relevant ones.

We try.... :)

Sometimes, I'm afraid, we pull the thread in to limbo so we can work on it and then find that the mess will take too long to prune out. Usually if something's going to take more tahn an hour or so to clean up I have not be well motivated or in an exceptionally jovial mood to prune!

This is again why it's helpful if people can let us know when things go pear-shaped sooner rather than later. The earlier we can get in there and stop the wandering, the better!

Joe

Originally posted by transporter

heres the creepy bit, i think most mods do a good job controlling most things.

however to raise issues with some of Jb's post.(not saying jbs wrong but they are points that i have also picked up on).

how can typing be agressive?

what is actually off topic? some posts need to go off topic to keep it open.

is it relevant if a mod finds the contents of a post boring?

is spelling - typing so critical to the forum?

i do agree wholeheartedly that offensive comments should be reported instantly by the person who finds it offensive, and not left for a kind soul to speak up.

OK.....

Some people can be very upset by things said online. I'm not talking about the usual spats people have - I'm talking about behaviour that is close to stalking. That's aggressive and bullying 'typing'. We will jump on that whenever we see it.

If someone starts a 'serious' topic and then a few smart-alecs decide to make a joke of it, that's off topic. It's not that a Mod finds it boring - it's that soemone will have suually reported the posts. Some people believe that teh Forum exists to be their playground - it isn't. If a thread on a topic dies, so be it. Another thread can easily be started. If a thread 'evolves' through discussion we'll usually leave it. If soemone deliberately tries to divert the thread or hijack it we'll stop it happening.

Spelling isn't that critical - however, there are occasions when a sentence is totally unpunctuated and totally unreadable. We also tend to modify badly spelt titles for clarity. (And I KNOW that my spelling is crap! :) )

Joe

So Joe, how many threads are there on the site and do you remove them completely after a period of time? :confused: