Should there be a media blackout of Breivik's court statement?

Old Came Ruin said multiculturalism doesn't work a couple of months go and has committed himself to reducing the affect it has in UK society,
Where did he say that? Cameron's rhetoric was directed at extremist Islamic groups-they aren't the sole representatives of multiculturism.

Where did he say that? Cameron's rhetoric was directed at extremist Islamic groups-they aren't the sole representatives of multiculturism.

Mecky is probably referring to this.

State multiculturalism has failed, says David Cameron

David Cameron has criticised "state multiculturalism" in his first speech as prime minister on radicalisation and the causes of terrorism.

At a security conference in Munich, he argued the UK needed a stronger national identity to prevent people turning to all kinds of extremism.

Mecky is probably referring to this.

State multiculturalism has failed, says David Cameron

David Cameron has criticised "state multiculturalism" in his first speech as prime minister on radicalisation and the causes of terrorism.

At a security conference in Munich, he argued the UK needed a stronger national identity to prevent people turning to all kinds of extremism.

Thanks andikay, yes that was the article I was referring to too. In his speech he focussed exclusively on Muslim extremism-"there would be greater scrutiny of some Muslim groups which get public money but do little to tackle extremism."

That's a perfectly reasonable thing to do, but I don't see how it represents a failure of multiculturism in the slightest since Muslims or Islamists don't make up all or even the majority of the various cultures in the UK.

He didn't make a commitment to reducing the effect that multiculturism has, as Mecky suggested.

Reading between the lines, "At a security conference in Munich, he argued the UK needed a stronger national identity to prevent people turning to all kinds of extremism. " http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12371994

Thanks andikay, yes that was the article I was referring to too. In his speech he focussed exclusively on Muslim extremism-"there would be greater scrutiny of some Muslim groups which get public money but do little to tackle extremism."

That's a perfectly reasonable thing to do, but I don't see how it represents a failure of multiculturism in the slightest since Muslims or Islamists don't make up all or even the majority of the various cultures in the UK.

He didn't make a commitment to reducing the effect that multiculturism has, as Mecky suggested.

AND hes a conservative.......right wing party

so its no surprise he doesnt like multiculturalism, or think its working

They are the most vocal, most demanding and most dangerous though.

As soon as i heard he was going to explain himself in court i thought "iv gotta hear this"

Sunny Hundal writing on Liberal Conspiracy noticed similarities in the writings of Breivik with Melanie Phillips of the Daily Mail. While I personally don't think Philips directly influenced Breivik, some of his views are often given the cloak of respectability

I believe there's more than similarities. Breivik actually quoted a Melanie Phillips article at length in his 'manifesto'.

They are the most vocal, most demanding and most dangerous though.

but that doesnt make them the lives and soul of the party

I would say this part of his speech implies that multiculturalism hasn’t been a great success.

He said under the "doctrine of state multiculturalism", different cultures have been encouraged to live separate lives.

'I am a Londoner too'

"We have failed to provide a vision of society to which they feel they want to belong. We have even tolerated these segregated communities behaving in ways that run counter to our values."

Building a stronger sense of national and local identity holds "the key to achieving true cohesion" by allowing people to say "I am a Muslim, I am a Hindu, I am a Christian, but I am a Londoner... too", he said.

And Jeremy Clarkson, and The Guardian. Let's face it he's a complete nutter -

"Among hundreds of refences Breivik cites are several well-known British newspaper columnists and articles in publications across the political spectrum.

Melanie Phillips, of the Daily Mail, is quoted at length, including an opinion piece about Labour’s immigration policy which is included in full.

Attacking the rise in immigration, she remarks: “It was done to destroy for ever what it means to be culturally British and to put another 'multicultural' identity in its place.”

He also cites an article by Jeremy Clarkson, the Top Gear presenter and Sunday Times columnist, about the flag of St George stating: “This is the only country in the world where the national flag is deemed offensive.”

Praising Clarkson’s Top Gear performances, Breivik adds: “Discrediting national flags as signs of ‘bigotry’ is happening all over the Western world.”

He also cites The Guardian 10 times."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/norway/8658431/Norway-killer-Anders-Behring-Breivik-called-Gordon-Brown-and-Prince-Charles-traitors.html

wrong on all counts

whenever something like this happens you need to understand and learn from the perpetrator, why they did it etc.

how the hell do you expect to try and make peoples lives safer if you just get blase about it and think what the hell?

in this case its about learning why the far right believe in what they do and indeed what they believe

I'm not being blase. It's just that there's nothing to be learned from people like him and he should just be locked away somewhere and ignored. He did what he did for the same hate filled reasons as anyone else who holds similar ideas and does similar things. Hatred of difference, belief that other races are subhuman, the communists are trying to destroy us etc. You can guarantee it's just the same old boring Nazi drivel. Whats to say you can trust anything he says anyway?

I suppose the only way to protect people from his like is to monitor people who espouse extremist ideas as far as possible, teach people about compassion and embracing diversity, destroy their weak arguments with logic.

Edited by gularscute