Help a Newbie? Please?

Morning One and All.

I was thinking of taking up fishing, I haven't been since I was about 10 but really enjoyed it.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice about how to get started. What equipment is essential, where's best, that sort of thing.

I have inherited a small collection of equipment from an uncle that consists of a rod, reel, several floats, weights and a small folding stool. I have no idea on any brands or line strength.

Any help is appreciated.

What sort of fishing are you wanting to take up? carp/Match/course?

or fly??! (I can help advise if so)

Ah, coarse is what I've tried before. So I'll stick to that.

Welll what i usualy do, is go down to a fishing shop, may i recommend climax down drofield and say you have a certain amount of money, and they kit you up with all the gear you need, thats what i did when i started carp fishing

Considered that, but was a bit unnerved about being totally out of my depth. So really would prefer to have some idea about what I need.

you can get 100 metres of decent line for around £3. i would get some 3lb breaking strain for float fishing and 4-5lb for feeder work. hook length line can be bought on 50 metre spools or to begin with get some ready tied hooks in sizes 14, 16, 18 + 20 though it's cheaper to tie your own. your local library may have books on starting fishing. you don't have to spend a fortune to get started but once you get into it you'll want more and better tackle.

once you buy your first set you'l more than likely get addicted haha, as most fishermen could say... 'i could open a tackle shop myself'

go to your local tackle shop expliane to them what type of fishing you want to do they will give you some very good advice and allso go with somebody you know who does fishing too if you have not all ready got 1 get a licence you can buy day 1s , week 1s or a full year 1 from any post office as soon as you have the recipt for it yu can fish .

but climax is a good place to go or billy clarkes tackle shop , or if you dnt want to buy from them then theres loads of gear on here for sale cheap too so if you dnt like it then yu have not lost a lot off money ,

but if i was you then go with some body you know who goes fishing and watch them best way to learn from somebody else ,

hope you enjoy it as its 1 of the most popular sports going with over 2 million that do it