Head Gasket gone? how much to repair.

I just wonder if any one has had a new head gasket fitted and how much it cost. It looks like mine has gone overheating and blowing white smoke out of the exhaust, also using loads off water.:(

I paid about £300 some years ago. Not including the money to get me towed off the motorway :(

Are you also getting oil in the water? You might also see an emulsion on the dipstick if you take that out and take a look. (Let engine cool down a bit.... :) )

When I blew the head gasket the engine just wasn't runnable - I had to be towed in.

There's also another gasket at the bottom of the engine, don't forget.

If the head gasket has blown and you've driven any distance then there might be engine damage which will cost more to fix than just the gasket istelf.

When I blew mine on a Rover 220GTi it cost about GBP500 and the car was never the same again.

Joe

Yup, on my dads old Rover it was upwards of £500 but in saying that it had done a lot of damage :?

Won't be cheap my friend :(

Originally posted by JoeP

Are you also getting oil in the water? You might also see an emulsion on the dipstick if you take that out and take a look. (Let engine cool down a bit.... :) )

Joe

You might also see oil deposits inside the cooling system expansion tank.

Originally posted by JoeP

When I blew mine on a Rover 220GTi it cost about GBP500 and the car was never the same again.

Joe

Common fault on Rover K series engines, mine went at 89K, had it skimmed and re-fitted was ok after, but the eventual death of the car was due to the rusted body work and off to the scrap yard she went.

My dad's old toyota carina blew it's head gasket when I was driving it through heavy traffic about 15 years ago.

Because it had an aliminium engine, the head had to be completely stripped and sent for an ultrascan to make sure there weren't any tiny cracks.

What kind of car are you talking about?

Well sounds like its time for a new car then, anybody want to buy a Espace with slight problem ;)

Originally posted by Bikertec

Well sounds like its time for a new car then, anybody want to buy a Espace with slight problem ;)

Sell it sold as seen on ebay, someones will buy it.

Our Clio blew it's head gasket last month due to the water pump failing and a sudbequent overheating.

£430 to Jupiter garage Heeley. Works fine again.

Did mine myself with a mate and a Haynes manual - it isnt hard on most cars, just time consuming (hence big bills). Cost me £20 for the full gasket set including new bolts... job done. :)

I should point out, the above was on a Ford Orion I own, not the Supra :)

when the gasket went on the old citroen, 8 quid for bits and 600+ sovs to fit it - I don't think so. The Haynes it is then :)

Took a few hours to sort out - fine afterwards and I had sore fingers

Big sis's 1 year old Rover 75 cost £1300 to put right after the garage told her there was nothing wrong so she drove it and damaged the pots. The garage footed the bill after the mechanic admitted fault. His reasoning was that the car was too new for the problem (only 65k miles).

It went again at 100k and again at 130k (then she traded the pile of **** in and never looked back!).

The biggest bill that I've ever seen for this is £1600, but that was on a grey import 4x4 with damage to the engine from the gasket blowing.

Good luck- you might find a way of doing it for less than £500.