What does "marketing" mean to you?

This is to be fair a good point...it always shocks me how often I see this! I guess sometimes it's people coming up with a busines model that fits their skills and abilities and then trying to fit it in somewhere that it could work. All to vague and sketchy and as you say is not built on a market need, as for a physcial shop location is everything.

Well if someone has a certain ability, maybe they are Italian and an experienced chef, they can still fit what customers want around that.

There are a thousand different types of Italian restaurant you could open. Cheap, expensive, pizza, seafood etc etc

But what do people actually want?

Well I changed my website around quite a bit actually, take a look if you like.

It seems the other offer was too confusing and the choose your own fee was something I had already started doing anyway.

Not sure what I could change "Marketing Consultancy" to though, there are so many different things it covers. I'm not looking to get customers through here anyway.

It's just a good way of keeping a finger on the pulse of what's going on in Sheffield and any extra promotion is a bonus.

Ahhh well it's definately an improvement on the previous % of gross profit thing I saw which I have to agree with TOny's previous post, put me off straight away.

HOWEVER....

I think for most businesses I've worked with so far choose your own (I would predict) will prove equally difficult to carry off. In my experience people tend to want to know exactly what they will be paying and exactly what they will be getting for their money - particularly small businesses - as then they can assess whether it's a worthwhile purchase for them. Nothing you've said on there at the moment is quantifiable or substantiated with evidence...it's too wooly.

Most of the clients I've worked for again wouldn't know what price to put on stuff...and you'll also find a lot of small businesses (just look around Sheffield Forum) want owt for nowt! You'd be better to establish a price your target customer would be willing to pay for your support and then put together case studies and justification for that charge...explain to them WHY they need a "marketing consultancy"...and then five a detailed breakdown of what they can expect as an end result.

You see it with anything that's even charged per/hour...for businesses in particular with more limited funds this is more off putting as costs feel uncontrolled and harder to predict. I know you're trying to use it as your USP, but I really do think you'd be better to go down the costed out consultancy packages route if you want to reap the rewards on this one. Like I say, just speaking from personal experience there. One of the first things clients want you to tell them is A) a price B) what EXACTLY they get for that.

Ahhh well it's definately an improvement on the previous % of gross profit thing I saw which I have to agree with TOny's previous post, put me off straight away.

HOWEVER....

I think for most businesses I've worked with so far choose your own (I would predict) will prove equally difficult to carry off. In my experience people tend to want to know exactly what they will be paying and exactly what they will be getting for their money - particularly small businesses - as then they can assess whether it's a worthwhile purchase for them. Nothing you've said on there at the moment is quantifiable or substantiated with evidence...it's too wooly.

Most of the clients I've worked for again wouldn't know what price to put on stuff...and you'll also find a lot of small businesses (just look around Sheffield Forum) want owt for nowt! You'd be better to establish a price your target customer would be willing to pay for your support and then put together case studies and justification for that charge...explain to them WHY they need a "marketing consultancy"...and then five a detailed breakdown of what they can expect as an end result.

You see it with anything that's even charged per/hour...for businesses in particular with more limited funds this is more off putting as costs feel uncontrolled and harder to predict. I know you're trying to use it as your USP, but I really do think you'd be better to go down the costed out consultancy packages route if you want to reap the rewards on this one. Like I say, just speaking from personal experience there. One of the first things clients want you to tell them is A) a price B) what EXACTLY they get for that.

You may well be right, it sounds like good advice, thanks.

Ultimately I am doing a fair bit of research into whether people are interested in this type of thing or not.

The idea is more that they already know what they want, and they have a price range in mind.

Just to add...

I say this because I originally put in my business plan before starting my business that I would charge more on the lines of £/hour....I was trying to be different from the competition and innovative. After all I KNEW I could get results and thought this was a good USP.

Business advisors all loved my plan (so they said!) but this was the one thing I got feedback on...that I would end up changing my mind of pricing. And you know what? I'd changed my mind before even launching my business. Definately 100% the right call. Hence what I said in my previous post. It's about knowing the market and small businesses where they will try and do as much as they can themselves to save money (rightly or wrongly) do need it spelling out to them more clearly if you've any hope of making a decent living.

Just to add...

I say this because I originally put in my business plan before starting my business that I would charge more on the lines of £/hour....I was trying to be different from the competition and innovative. After all I KNEW I could get results and thought this was a good USP.

Business advisors all loved my plan (so they said!) but this was the one thing I got feedback on...that I would end up changing my mind of pricing. And you know what? I'd changed my mind before even launching my business. Definately 100% the right call. Hence what I said in my previous post. It's about knowing the market and small businesses where they will try and do as much as they can themselves to save money (rightly or wrongly) do need it spelling out to them more clearly if you've any hope of making a decent living.

How did you go about getting your first clients in the end?

The idea is more that they already know what they want, and they have a price range in mind.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there..I think THIS is what you'll find isn't as you predict. As you've found people all have a different idea of what marketing is and if you're thinking of your above statement most will think in more practical terms - i.e. what you can DO for them. Because you're selling an invisible product and not offering something more tangible...web design...marketing materials etc. this is harder for people to get their heads around in terms of their NEED.

People don't often understand the most valuable part of the examples I gave is the marketing consultancy element (as we touched on in previous posts), i.e. that their business cards and website etc. must generate them sales not just sit there and add no value. This is where you need to get creative about your sales patter and how you approach what you offer, and hence why I say a fixed fee will probably work better. Perhaps even a FREE introduction of some kind - in the vein of see the results for yourself then judge whether you want to keep me on - that way if you're as good as you say you are, they will keep you on and keep paying for it. You're then convincing businesses "from the inside out" in a more tangible manner, the value of using a marketing consultant.

I wanted to add that consultancy is a key part of my business but something that people value as part of the web design etc. I offer...I've found it THE most difficult thing to charge for...not because people wouldn't pay for it...I'm sure existing clients would...but more that I end up almost securing jobs upon giving the consultation for free...as it's the consultation that gives people the confidence to buy from me...ultiamtely to trust me with their business.

P.S definately an improvement in terms of your forum tag :)

Edited by ray320cd

I think you've hit the nail on the head there..I think THIS is what you'll find isn't as you predict. As you've found people all have a different idea of what marketing is and if you're thinking of your above statement most will think in more practical terms - i.e. what you can DO for them. Because you're selling an invisible product and not offering something more tangible...web design...marketing materials etc. this is harder for people to get their heads around in terms of their NEED.

People don't often understand the most valuable part of the examples I gave is the marketing consultancy element (as we touched on in previous posts), i.e. that their business cards and website etc. must generate them sales not just sit there and add no value. This is where you need to get creative about your sales patter and how you approach what you offer, and hence why I say a fixed fee will probably work better. Perhaps even a FREE introduction of some kind - in the vein of see the results for yourself then judge whether you want to keep me on - that way if you're as good as you say you are, they will keep you on and keep paying for it. You're then convincing businesses "from the inside out" in a more tangible manner, the value of using a marketing consultant.

I wanted to add that consultancy is a key part of my business but something that people value as part of the web design etc. I offer...I've found it THE most difficult thing to charge for...not because people wouldn't pay for it...I'm sure existing clients would...but more that I end up almost securing jobs upon giving the consultation for free...as it's the consultation that gives people the confidence to buy from me...ultiamtely to trust me with their business.

P.S definately an improvement in terms of your forum tag :)

I see what you are saying about it being intangible. It is difficult to quantify the value to their business of a service they don't fully understand.

I think I might go with offering a review of their current marketing for free, and then making recommendations on what they need to improve, which I can hopefully then show the value of in numbers.

It's a strategy I have in mind but as a fall back. It's about thinking about the total value of the client over the course of our relationship, rather than the first transaction.

How did you go about getting your first clients in the end?

I spent months planning and putting a business plan together and didn't rush in ...I met with numerous business advisors etc. and gained as much knowledge as I could. The best thing is I modelled the process a lot of my clients go through - most are new start-ups - so by going through the process myself I gained as good an insight as I ever could about the needs and issues faced by start-up businesses. I also networked with business owners, went on business link workshops etc.

The first work I ever did was for a friend who was setting up an infant-loss charity. It gave me a chance to model what I could do, build my portfolio and it also I believe adds to credibility if you can see some kind of ethical work for a charity/or not-for-profit...certainly it does for me when thinking about choosing someone with integrity to work on my business - that's maybe a personal standpoint though.

In tandem I also won a project on one of these design contest sites (CrowdSpring...99 Designs etc).

All the other work I've done has been found via word of mouth from existing clients and contacts made at networking events (I've been up and running for a year now). I think you'll find this your best bet...as people buy people...more than ever with what you're selling. If you can make a good impression on someone at a networking event you may well get the "in" you need.

I think I might go with offering a review of their current marketing for free, and then making recommendations on what they need to improve, which I can hopefully then show the value of in numbers.

It's a strategy I have in mind but as a fall back. It's about thinking about the total value of the client over the course of our relationship, rather than the first transaction.

Now that sounds much more like it :).

I always think of clients in terms of longer term strategy rather than quick win - i.e. how doing the work will help secure me future work, both for them and people they know. SOmetimes we may start out with something that "tests the water" like a business card...they then keep coming back to me for everything else they need because why would they go elsewhere when I've already proved myself as good value for money and someone they can trust?

Now that sounds much more like it :).

I always think of clients in terms of longer term strategy rather than quick win - i.e. how doing the work will help secure me future work, both for them and people they know. SOmetimes we may start out with something that "tests the water" like a business card...they then keep coming back to me for everything else they need because why would they go elsewhere when I've already proved myself as good value for money and someone they can trust?

You've been really helpful, thanks.

If you send me a PM with details of your website etc I'll keep you in mind for any future design things I might need for clients.

I got my old MBA notes out for this one and came up with this:

“Marketing is a social and

managerial process by which

individuals and groups obtain

what they need and want

through creating and exchanging

products and value with others”

and I thought 'I have no idea what this means!'

The definition that I use is:

“finding, attracting and

keeping the customers

that you want while

maximising your profits”

It's EVERYTHING that you do in busienss and involves EVERYONE in the business.

The word 'Marketing' is a descriptive word used by someone at some point to describe the actions that he or she did to create an intended outcome. It's like when I have been asked what the seven steps to marketing are...if I dont know what somebody has made up and written down does that mean I dont know how to market my business?? Put it another way.. If asked from a business point of view whats the very first thing you should do everyday? How many would say write a 'To do..' list, how many would say 'Get up out of bed !!' but are the smart ones the ones that say 'Open my eyes...' Too much time spent analyzing I say rather than actually doing in a lot of cases....