Smoking tradesmen. Would you employ one?

I am wanting a room papering and rang a few local tradesmen to quote. One guy arrived absolutely reeking of tobacco. I had to leave the windows open after he left.

It just made me think that I would rather get someone else to do the job as the dust sheets and everything else from the van is going to stink my house out.

I'm sure I'm not alone in hating the stink of tobacco and wonder how much it disadvantages tradesmen who smoke.

Does this stop him doing an excellent job,don't be over dramatic.

It doesn't mean he will do a better job than anyone else either. So as I'm paying the bills I will employ who I choose. I don't see why I should pay to have my house stunk out. There is no guarantee that when I'm out of my house the decorators won't light up and drop fag ash on my carpets.

It doesn't mean he will do a better job than anyone else either. So as I'm paying the bills I will employ who I choose. I don't see why I should pay to have my house stunk out. There is no guarantee that when I'm out of my house the decorators won't light up and drop fag ash on my carpets.

If you have your mind made up, why ask the question.

Regards

Angel.

I guess she's looking for further confirmation of her irrational prejudices.

There is an answer to that DO IT YOURSELF.

Simple question …………… simple answer. No

It would put me off too.

I used to smoke myself and now when I smell it on other people, I can't believe how truely awful I must have smelt, and how badly the smell lingers.

Can you remember going to the cinema …….. when the lights went down and the projector came on it was as thick as a cloud from a dry ice machine and don’t even mention upstairs on the buses. :hihi:

cant believe we had to put up with it........thank god for the no smoking ban

best thing that ever happened :)

as for the op........I wouldnt want that either..so no I wouldnt employ him

there must be loads out there who do a good job who dont reek of fags

he would be popping out every 5 mins for a fag ...... and you would be paying him to do so :nono::)

Totally agree . i smoke in my van whilst doing removals ,but ive never had anyone complain about it . as long as i do my job correct and deliver the goods in good condition ,whats the problem.

Simple question …………… simple answer. No

Why ?

I think the OP is exaggerating.Any good tradesman would hesitate to work for such a fussy person.I bet the house has odours which the tradesman might object to such as cooking smells,cheap perfume and other sources of irritation.

I once worked for someone who refused to employ smokers. He was adamant that he wasn't going to pay people for smoking on his time. He figured that 6 cigarettes a day in between official breaks would cost him an hour a day.

I can see where he was coming from.