Need Microsoft Word

As someone else has said - try Open Office, it's brillaint. I believe it can open Microsoft Word files too

I don't know what was wrong last time I tried to open Open Office doc. on Word but this time everything was fine, nothing missing etc. Thanks guys, I'm gonna start using it again :)

As for Google docs - I'd offer a word of caution: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110721/18124415200/can-google-get-past-big-faceless-white-monolith-stage.shtml

"I had imported all of my other email accounts, hotmail, yahoo, etc., into that one gmail account. I had spent roughly four months slowly consolidating my entire online presence, email accounts, banking info, student records, etc., into that one Google account, having determined it to be reliable. That means in terms of information, approximately 7 years of correspondence, over 4,800 photographs and videos, my Google Voice messages, over 500 articles saved to my Google Reader account for scholarship purposes ....I have lost all of my bookmarks, having used Google bookmarks...... I have also lost over 200 contacts. Many of which I do not have backups of. I have also lost access to my Docs account with shared documents and backups of inventory files. I have also lost my Calendar access. With this I have lost not only my own personal calendar of doctor’s appointments, meetings, and various other dates, but I have also lost collaborative calendars, ...... I have also lost in my correspondence medical records and a variety of very important notes that were attached to my account. My website, a blogger account for which I purchased the domain through Google and designed myself, has also been disabled and lost."

If you depend on Google PLEASE back up. It may be your stuff but Google can lock you out.

I don't know what was wrong last time I tried to open Open Office doc. on Word but this time everything was fine, nothing missing etc. Thanks guys, I'm gonna start using it again :)

Does .odt not open in Office? Save as a .doc then you won't have problems.

Hi i have downloaded Open Office and it works great, so a big thankyou to those who suggested it. My daughter has lost all her course work as her memory stick snapped and then the laptop died! So had to buy a new laptop and couldn't really afford to buy MW so i am really pleased with OO.

Google Documents works a treat too if you have a Gmail account

I recommend OpenOffice.

It's a complete, Word etc compatible package for free.

Also has a variety of extensions to personalise the programs to your needs.

Also, when saving, ensure to use an MS compatible format - .doc .xml etc and not the default as this only works with OO.

Edited by Greg2605
Afterthought...

I recommend OpenOffice.

It's a complete, Word etc compatible package for free.

Also has a variety of extensions to personalise the programs to your needs.

Also, when saving, ensure to use an MS compatible format - .doc .xml etc and not the default as this only works with OO.

The default file format for Libre/Open Office is and ISO standard[1] that is supported by many office suites - including, supposedly, more recent versions of MS Office. MS Office's support isn't very good though so if you want to transfer documents between MS Office and others it's better to export to older MS Office formats (i.e. doc rather than docx).

[1] MS Office's newest file formats (docx, etc.) are supposed to conform to a different ISO standard that Microsoft proposed but even Microsoft don't confirm to their own standard and everyone else is left with the choice of being compatible with that standard or with Microsoft.

You saved it in the default open office format and tried to open it in MS word. It's MS word that isn't the compatible one. It's their way of making everybody buy their product. Get the market share then make the market leader not compatible. I think there should be a monopoly thing to look into it.

even Microsoft don't confirm to their own standard

Well, there's a surprise.:hihi:

but even Microsoft don't confirm to their own standard and everyone else is left with the choice of being compatible with that standard or with Microsoft.

Sounds like something they'd do! Good info, thanks.

If you want an OpenOffice derivative that comes complete with Clip Art (instead of having to download and install separately) then there is also OxygenOffice Professional, downloadable from sourceforge.net