Anybody On Here Who Worked In Rolling Mills In The 70s

My husband worked at Shepcote Lane Rolling Mills about that time with a Basil aka Tubby a Gorden aka slits, a Black jack to name a few.

Hi Twirly, I must have worked with your husband as they were the blokes that I worked with, I left either late 69 or early 70's when they had the big strike, we came to Oz in 1970, my name is Trevor.

I worked in stockholding in the late eighties and was shown round Stocksbridge rolling mill. The heat and the noise were amazing. Proper man's work being in there five days a week, not like my cushy desk job :D

Hi Twirly, I must have worked with your husband as they were the blokes that I worked with, I left either late 69 or early 70's when they had the big strike, we came to Oz in 1970, my name is Trevor.

My husbands name was Dennis, were you part of the team? mMy two sons also worked there as crane drivers.

skippy did you know Brian the football fan who, when his sheffield team lost to the other sheffield team, turned up to workmwith a bandage covering most of his head and every one thought he had been caught in a football ruck so feeling very sorry for him, no one took the mick about his team loosing. when he clocked off he removed the bandage.

Also Albert who was hit on the head with a spanner spinning of the equipment

I havent thought about those days for years now, we all use to go out together now and then. there was never a dry eye with Slits

just remembered another name Stuts i met him the other week, he is looking a bit older now ar'n't we all.was you there when Dennis had hs feet trapped under a c hook .

Gday Twirly, Brian the pole truck driver, mad Wednesday fan, the other blokes on that job were Charlie hooley, I used to take him to work on my motorbike & sidecar, the other kid's name Billy Hazlehurst, his dad worked on the other line with Ralph Bellamy, Sailor, O'grady, Roy Plummer & my old mate Harry Thompson, not forgetting Albert Benton, always pushing his glasses up his nose.

Do you remember Jim Yeomans, Harry Fox, pisspot Harry from Rotherham,Arthur who worked on the back end for Jim Y.

I was on shift when Woody nearly lost his foot when the coil seperated after slitting and trapped him between the coil & C hook, I had to hold his foot all the way to the hospital, remember George Baines & Bennett, I could never get to work on time on day shift because our new born kept us up all night, Bainesy & Bennett told me to get to work no matter what time it was rather than lose time, I used to turn up at 9 o clock some days.

I made a visit to Sheffield in 1990 & spent a couple of days with Harry Thompson, great bloke, unfortunately Sailor had just passed away,another name just came to mind, George Bridges, used to have a M/B & sidecar too & worked on Woody's shift, the bloke on the back end came from Beighton and lost his wife whilst I was there, can't remember his name.

I'm trying to put a face to your name ? can't think of the blokes name that worked the coiler on our shift, very strong man & very quiet, Tubby went to live back down south somewhere, they were great days, remember we took turns at making coffee or tea every hour.

for some reason, Bainesy always put me down for 12 hour shifts, black Jack did a lot of mine, there were 2 blokes who worked on Bellamy's line, one was Bainesy's son in law & the other blokes father was a boss in the hot mill ?

also another bloke from Rotherham who had dermititus & had an MGB, thin bloke with glasses, used to get the girls, it was surprising how many blokes came from the Maltby & Thurcroft areas.

Twirly, remember the night Black Jack fell asleep in the waste paper box & we hoisted it in the air with the crane? Eric George walked through and we told him the crane had a small problem, he walked away smiling, I'm sure he knew what was going on.

I was the youngest bloke on the line in those days.

Horace was the coiler operater, I'm not sure what happened to the bloke on the leveler, but B/ Jack moved on there, Horace took Jacks place & I moved onto the coiler, there were 3 other blokes there who cut the scrap into pieces, but I only remember Harry from Rotherham, there is another that I remember but can't think of his name, could be Dennis.

Bill Jackson & Keith Gregory worked with Jim Yeomans but Keith moved into the hot mill crane driving, he was my wifes cousin and got me the job there, sadly he passed away some years ago when he was about 50.

My grandad worked in the rolling mills for many years,his name was Willie Bradshaw

Dennis had a heart attack but went back to work as steel inspector . the accident you are describing sounds like the one Dennis had but I suspect there were others.

Dennis had a heart attack but went back to work as steel inspector . the accident you are describing sounds like the one Dennis had but I suspect there were others.

Is your surname Wood ? I think the bloke who had the accident was called Bill Wood & he lived around the Pagehall area somewhere, My name is Trevor Powell.

Is Dennis still with us ?

my dad worked at hobson houghton in 60s and s kayser in 70s/80s,his name is jack brookes

this was the one on saville street in the wicker?..my dad worked there too.