Anybody On Here Who Worked In Rolling Mills In The 70s

anybody on here who worked in the rolling mills in sheffield in the 70s

I worked at Dunford Elliots on Claywheels Lane & most of the other rolling mills in the 70s

Sanderson Kaysers etc etc

I was grinding billets for rolling during the 70s, one of the firms was Billet and Slab Grinding Co.- used to grind stainless billets for Sanderson Kaysers, Firth Browns, British Steel, Hadfields, Brown Bayleys et al.

Hi Nimrod I probably rolled at least 1 of those billets you worked on

happy days the work was hot & hard but well paid wish I was still working in the mills but most of them are now in other countries

Sheffield was then the Worlds best steel producer now look at us what are we famous for now?

:(

Mdad worked at that place on claywheels lane.His name was ken brooks and after leaving there he went to alloy steel rods on stevenson road.:|

worked in the norfolk bar mill in 70,s (firth browns)used to go in the plumpers & the albert with the other mill hands who were older than me could they lower that ale sadly the mills have gone but more so a lot of them old mill hands bless em

Originally posted by brooksy

Mdad worked at that place on claywheels lane.His name was ken brooks and after leaving there he went to alloy steel rods on stevenson road.:|

Hi Brooksy

there were 4 mills working a three shift pattern maybe 100 men each shift most people only knew first names or knicknames

I mainly worked on little mill as a shearsman with my brother in law little ernie then on the big mill as a hot reelerman

Originally posted by pk014b7161

worked in the norfolk bar mill in 70,s (firth browns)used to go in the plumpers & the albert with the other mill hands who were older than me could they lower that ale sadly the mills have gone but more so a lot of them old mill hands bless em

Hi neverworked there but my dad worked at Hadfields after being made redundant from English Steel Attercliffe after 20 yrs

MY DAD WORKED AT EATON AND BOOTHS ON PENISTONE ROAD IT IS NOW REG VARDY

Originally posted by maverick75

MY DAD WORKED AT EATON AND BOOTHS ON PENISTONE ROAD IT IS NOW REG VARDY

Hi maverick 75 please don't shout iv'e got a hangover LOL

( don't type in Capitals it's classed as shouting or being mad LOL)

Never worked there but knew it

I worked at Sheffield Rolling Mills, Millsand, Off Ladies Bridge, if memory serves me i was on SK2, running out, back in the 70s

Originally posted by coyleys

I worked at Sheffield Rolling Mills, Millsand, Off Ladies Bridge, if memory serves me i was on SK2, running out, back in the 70s

running out ? do you mean on the last pass the finised steel was run down to the sawmen or shearmen if so we called it trailing down

Originally posted by Appolo

running out ? do you mean on the last pass the finised steel was run down to the sawmen or shearmen if so we called it trailing down

That right but we called it running out, i would catch it on the last roll then drag it down to the straighter, these bars would be about 1inch diameter by about 20 foot long.