Anybody On Here Who Worked In Rolling Mills In The 70s

stevenorfolk - do you remember the electrician at Hemmings, Alan Jones? I think he left some time around early seventies.

Also a very friendly youngish guy who drove a three wheeler - maybe an early Reliant.

I believe Hemmings also had a place around Fox Hill/Wadsley area.

I worked at millsands from 74 to 76, then went to east hecla where i worked with the lads who moved from Claywheels lane. Ernest bamforth, albert compton, john oxley, grizzly odhams etc

I was cogg backer in sk2 from 1960 to 69 when i moved to australia good mates great times

My dad worked at the Sheffield Rolling Mills, Millsand does anyone remember him - John Paluch?

I worked At Neepsend Rolling Mills 1969/71 little sheet mill...names I remember Jack Gregory, Arthur Bavestock Brien Steel,Ronny Flecher All in Big Mill. I then went over the Don to work at George Clarks/Spencer Clark Rolling Mill in the middle mill and big mill some great guys worked here...on Don Savage Tommy Simpson Kieth Buttery Ray Waldrick John Brodrick Dennis Hoole Jack Gregory Harris Brothers Pete Wright Big Jim...good days back then.

I worked at Swift Bros.(now Eaton & Booths) in coggin mill about 68/69.Didn't get full money till you were 21 in those days,so I stuck it out for 12months,jacked in & walked down the road to where they were building the Kelvin flats & got set on straight away.It was more money but,have to admit they were a great bunch of lads in the mill.

I worked at Swift Bros.(now Eaton & Booths) in coggin mill about 68/69.Didn't get full money till you were 21 in those days,so I stuck it out for 12months,jacked in & walked down the road to where they were building the Kelvin flats & got set on straight away.It was more money but,have to admit they were a great bunch of lads in the mill.

I worked at swift bros too during 68/69 I was in the small mill on the right as you went into the factory...I think the forman was called something like Dick Garton. Do you remember Jack reece Also the lightfoot brothers Grayham Glen and Wayne all worked there...I remember going across the road to the royal for a pint at the end of the shift on mornings.

"I remember going across the road to the royal for a pint at the end of the shift on mornings."

Is the pub still there?

I worked at swift bros too during 68/69 I was in the small mill on the right as you went into the factory...I think the forman was called something like Dick Garton. Do you remember Jack reece Also the lightfoot brothers Grayham Glen and Wayne all worked there...I remember going across the road to the royal for a pint at the end of the shift on mornings.

Yep,you must have worked in what was called the little duo.My brother in-law (big Jim Howcutt) worked in there.I still see Jack Reece now & then in Hartley House club.His younger brother Mick was our furnace man.Sadly,he was killed in a car accident.He wasn't very old either,and yes,the manager was Dick Garton,the old git.lol

"I remember going across the road to the royal for a pint at the end of the shift on mornings."

Is the pub still there?

No sorry to say all that area through to Sheffield from Hillsborough park has now gone and been re-developed for dual carrageway.

"No sorry to say all that area through to Sheffield from Hillsborough park has now gone and been re-developed for dual carrageway."

Too bad, every time I visit all of the old pubs I go to visit are long gone.

Does anyone remember the Minah bird they kept at the Royal?Tickled me to death,1st morning shift I finished,I clocked out,went across the road to the Royal,theres' only me at the bar,asked the landlord for a pint,then I hear someone shout,plain as day,I'm next!!!! I,automatically turned round & say,sorry pal,but there was nobody there.Then the landlord points out that its 'joey' above the door in his cage..Never heard a talking bird like it before or since.