Oh I do miss Sheffield..

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: Or do you mean the don ...........x[/QUOT did use to swim in the Don along with all the run off from the steel mills dead dogs & cats plus who knows what But theres nothing wrong with me I say theres nothing wrong with me or did i just say that :gag::gag::gag:

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: Or do you mean the don ...........x[/QUOT did use to swim in the Don along with all the run off from the steel mills dead dogs & cats plus who knows what But theres nothing wrong with me I say theres nothing wrong with me or did i just say that :gag::gag::gag:

Ewwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Well not a lot has changed in the grimesthorpe area still the odd dead dog around .................:hihi:

Edited by sand_dollars

Ewwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Well not a lot has changed in the grimesthorpe area still the odd dead dog around .................:hihi:

know very little about my Sheffield family, but one of my dads sister's kids was drown swiming in the don I'm pretty sure Upper slack (across from Barrack Tavern) had only one house on it,or maybe the house was on penistone rd pre 1939:confused::confused:

I officially left Sheffield a year ago after thinking that I would never live anywhere else. I come back occasionally- last time I caught the train and the station approach was just as thrilling and lively as ever in the sunshine.

I sat with some old friends for hours outside a café in the peace gardens and we watched the world go by, no one hurried us away. I saw a few people I used to know go past, then I walked back to the station via the Crucible/Lyceum. It angers me when people on here slag Sheffield off- it is and always has been, a beautiful city.

What I miss most is the abundance of tree lined streets, the big open parks, the rivers and the hills. I miss the trip out to Ladybower when you get to Mosscar and get your first glimpse of Kinder. I miss the feeling of home, and the pride of being a part of 'my' city.

I haven't moved far- but they don't have a local forum here either.

Stop slagging off Sheffield!

well said jomarch, feel the same as you ..luv sheffield .xxx

I posted earlier on this thread after ten months away from Sheffield...and my view hasn't changed.

I returned for a visit to family and friends last week (now 19 months since I left)

Nice to meet up with them all again.......but had no regrets of getting on the M1 and heading for my now home.

I knew I was back in Sheffield as soon as I hit the first pothole!

A walk around Firth Park shopping centre did nothing to entice me back.

Even family members said they no longer visit there.

What a dump!

My guess is those that praise Sheffield are either relatively new to the area....or simply don't/won't accept that the place is no longer the nice place that it once was.

I still say ( with pride ) that I'm from Sheffield when asked. That's what Sheffielders do.....and is the reason I read this forum.

Return to live?

I doubt it.

I lived i Sheffield most of my life or around it,when i emigrated to the south of Rotherham its was the best move I made and thats 25yrs ago now. I go to Sheffield frequently and realise that this is no longer the once proud city that I lived in,we have every nationality under the sun living there and true Sheffield language and dialect is rarely spoken if fact it is looked down on if you have a Sheffield accent. The stupid morons in the town hall have been on their jaunts, and decided that they would like to see it like some continental tourist trap,what planet do these people come from.The Sheffield that i once knew and loved has been destroyed by inept self serving councillors.My city has gone forever and so have I.I dont know where some people get this warm and friendly people from because most of them are not Sheffielders now, the town is a filthy mess of jumbled up and uncared for buildings,as for the Moor well this beggars belief and the once smart High St well what can I say only that Sheffield dropped its standards years ago and will never rebuild them.

I lived i Sheffield most of my life or around it,when i emigrated to the south of Rotherham its was the best move I made and thats 25yrs ago now. I go to Sheffield frequently and realise that this is no longer the once proud city that I lived in,we have every nationality under the sun living there and true Sheffield language and dialect is rarely spoken if fact it is looked down on if you have a Sheffield accent. The stupid morons in the town hall have been on their jaunts, and decided that they would like to see it like some continental tourist trap,what planet do these people come from.The Sheffield that i once knew and loved has been destroyed by inept self serving councillors.My city has gone forever and so have I.I dont know where some people get this warm and friendly people from because most of them are not Sheffielders now, the town is a filthy mess of jumbled up and uncared for buildings,as for the Moor well this beggars belief and the once smart High St well what can I say only that Sheffield dropped its standards years ago and will never rebuild them.

I will always be a sheffielder wherever I am in this world whether it now be in Rotherham or my other home abroad ,I`m a Sheffield lass and always will be .But in no way come hell or high water would I ever live there again.

I have some real good friends in Sheffield and some very fond memories of going to college , then to uni ,working in the Daisy and other pubs .......but I also remember the brutality of the bullies in my younger years where I suffered Vicious assaults all in the name of being poor .

I still have family there and have seen the decline of the city .......I don`t look at Sheffield with rose coloured glasses and see it for what it is ..............x

---------- Post added 18-06-2013 at 08:26 ----------

My sentiments entirely...............x

Edited by sand_dollars

You grow up in any city and dont or dont want to see the change,it always amaze me that in some parts of the U.S people live in urban decay ,and you always think why dont they just get up and move and the simple answer is only half of folk have the guts to take a chance and move to a better life, in my brothers case he would have come to canada in a heart beat BUT the wifes were to scared to leave Sheffield and most important thing family

You grow up in any city and dont or dont want to see the change,it always amaze me that in some parts of the U.S people live in urban decay ,and you always think why dont they just get up and move and the simple answer is only half of folk have the guts to take a chance and move to a better life, in my brothers case he would have come to canada in a heart beat BUT the wifes were to scared to leave Sheffield and most important thing family

In most cases its the ties that bind us that won`t let them leave ,the fear of change and the unknown .I had no quarms about moving (well maybe at first I did ) but as I look back now flyer I see only what Sheffield has now become ,in some parts its still the same with the self same mentality that keeps them in the same place.....I still am proud to be a Sheffield lass and still have a Sheffield accent although maybe somewhat refined.......whenever someone says are you from Yorkshire I say hell yeah SHEFFIELD actually ...................going through the city about 6 months ago I thought I was in a war zone it looked that run down.....It`s a proper shame that it has been allowed to decend into a hovel .............x

Edited by sand_dollars

Have now been away from sheffie 10 days and many more to come,only thing I,ll miss is a decent pint.Its a poor day weather wise today but even so took the dog for a walk at 9am this morning in shorts and flip flops.

Sand Dollars ,dont get me wrong ime still proud to be a Sheffielder and always will be,wherever i am i always pick up the knives to see where they came from sadly not many from this city now days.My mother was a buffer and ime proud of what she did in her 40yrs of work in the city.