Oh I do miss Sheffield..

Mu mum always says that, if you ever miss Sheffield, come back for a visit...you'll soon be on the next Ryanair flight back home! :hihi:

My wish was always to bring my mother to the States to live with me, but she wouldn't budge, I asked her about it more than once, even if she didn't want to live with me I had visions of hier living in the senior houseing I once worked at that was a 3 min walk from my house, my husband even said he would pay for her health care if ever she changed her mind.

I haven't lived in Sheffield for five years.I miss the old Sheffield, the Sheffield of my childhood and teens, and I miss family that are still there.I miss the gritty humour etc but it isn't the same as it was.

I miss Yorkshire as a whole, but I was thinking about this the other day, I think you tend to become more attatched to thoughts of your home town when you move away, but you do romanticize what it is like.

I usually get back once a year to visit my mother who still lives there. I don't think I could ever move back and live there now. Too cold and wet, most of my old pubs are now long go as most of the firms I worked at. Its nice to visit though and wander down memory lanes.

I'm into my 3rd year living away from Sheffield in Spain and I really do miss Sheffield sometimes, although I never thought I'd hear myself say that..

What could I possibly miss?

Well apart from the obvious family and friends, I miss the landscape, I sometimes miss the cold, I miss the number 48 bus from Heeley to town, I get jealous when my mum tells me she's off to Wetherspoons "for one" in Hillsborough, I miss somebody mentioning a street name or place and me knowing exactly where it is, I crave fish and chips from Beckets at Manor top, I want to walk in a dumpy pub and order "'arf a larger an' black", I miss Greggs coffee and those awful sausage rolls that taste like they contain pig bowels (probably do), I miss Fargate and Primark, I miss meeting my mum and sisters in Castle Market for a beef stew and a cuppa and coming out smelling of fish, I miss Reflex and laughing at the chavs falling about dancing to Rick Astley with a straw behind their ear for a microphone...wait, no, that was me and my family :hihi:.....and many other things...

Sheffield still holds some painful memories for me, and I'm not sure if I'll ever go back as I feel Spain is my home now, but as they say, you can take the girl out of Sheffield...I'm always going to be drawn back there as it's my hometown, and I always wonder if the delights of Spain are enough to keep me away from my roots forever?

Do you think we all wonder back "home" eventually? What would you miss about Sheffield if you ever left? I know lots of people would probably say nothing, as many do when still living there with the everyday stresses etc, but really thinking about it, what would you miss about the place you grew up in, that shaped part of the person you are today?

What,are you MAD:loopy: Sheffield is the absolute pits.I would give anything to be shot of the s&@thole! Can't think of a single thing i'd miss,if i ever had the good fortune to live elsewhere.Don't be foolish,and enjoy as you say the 'delights of spain',cos sheffield sure as hell aint got any!:(

What,are you MAD:loopy: Sheffield is the absolute pits.I would give anything to be shot of the s&@thole! Can't think of a single thing i'd miss,if i ever had the good fortune to live elsewhere.Don't be foolish,and enjoy as you say the 'delights of spain',cos sheffield sure as hell aint got any!:(
Why don't you just move? I'm not being sarcastic, it's not that hard to up sticks and go somewhere you like better.

I've just been saying bon voyage to yet another friend who's going to live in London, others have moved across to France and Spain, travel is unlimited within the EU. Get yourself off and see a bit of the world. If you really hate living in Sheffield so much, anywhere else would be better?

The writer Keith Waterhouse once described Sheffield as

"A city that looks like it should be helping the police with their enquiries"

But he was from Leeds !

Felt i must give a reply, being an "old" Sheffielder born and bred, myself and family have just returned to the UK from Portugal after four and a half years,we are presently looking for accommodation in NE Lincs, it,s true there are "rough" areas wherever you live but as someone said old memories drag you back,along with other reasons. As for Sheffield there are dozens of us "Wests" there,lots of whom i,ve never met. Once we are settled,i plan a trip back to the old City, as my 3yr old has never been there, if, we get hooted at in our (P) plated car,then so what it happens all over Europe, as for the person who would love to move to the "Sun" i,ve a nice house i can do you a good deal on in PT!

Seems those who do miss Sheffield (even just occasionally) is just for the Sheffield in their mind, at that moment in time when they were there... even though I do still live here, I think back to better days (probably in the 80s/90s) before the big changes in town, and many of the buildings and shops I grew up with disappeared or were replaced (e.g. Redgates, Gaumont, Suggs)...

Unfortunately, the city can't just stand still, and has changed with the times (often for the worse), particularly since the rise of the internet shopping and the collapse of the high street shopping, or the no-smoking ban leading to numerous pub closures. I expect that on equivalent sites in other cities very similar sentiments are expressed, time moves on and we only have treasured memories, with not enough memorable buildings remaining.

It doesn't help though when you goto Fitzalan Square and see the GPO building in a state, if you remember it in it's better days...

It's almost 10 months since I left Sheffield...and miss nothing.

I'm visiting on Friday to see family.

Other than that there's no reason to stay longer.

It's not the place it once was...........

And on another note here - the cost of living there is so high. I wondered if I sold up here if I could buy a nice house by a river somewhere back there, nope it would be a semi detached house only.

Amongst other things I miss the friendliness of Sheffield folk. Whenever my southern jessie OH and I visit Sheffield he comments on how friendly and helpful people are. I end up chatting to people in shop queues, in the Winter Gardens, at the tram stop, the barstaff in the pubs. People seem to have time to say hello everywhere.

After leaving Sheffield in the early 70,s I think I can honestly say, speaking from the heart, that it is definitely nostalgia that keeps dragging myself back for holidays from time to time. The mind plays tricks, making you think you can capure happy memories of the wonderful youthful days of the sixties. Sadly when you see get back there the harsh reality of what the place is now hits home quickly. Memory lane is a wonderful, but we should all remember, we can,t turn back time.

Delboy Austaralia