Did anyone go to St Maries school on Edmund Rd

Hi,

My Brother went to this school. He was born in 1952 and I think it was his first school so possibly around 1957 until the early 60s. His name was Paul Oates and he lived at number 52 Sheaf Gardens.

I remember one day after school someone broke a window at the school and the priest ran after my brother, he ran into our house screaming that God was after him.

Does anyone remember Paul? His friends were John Hall, Gordon Jones, Trevor Deacon ,Pat Mayor and lots more I can’t remember.

my friend and i went to st Maries School she lived on Sheaf Gardens Norma Magovern,the nuns were Sister Hilery and Sister Mary they were evil and very handy with the bat. my other friend was Veronica Snaithe would love to get in touch with them again

I went to st maries mid 50's and went to notre dame with moira hempstock, pat ryalls and mary west, remember kevin dempsey and robert sheffield, moved to sheffield from leeds and went into sr peters then miss worths is the old place still standing? it seemed archaic then.

I went to St Maries from 57 -63 remember Miss Worth ( with the big boobies she used to rest her arms on them!! Sr Maria took the reception class - she was a gentle nun & Sr Mary Dennis was the head teacher, no fond memories of her!!! Kevin Dempsey was my 2nd Cousin a bit older than me. My older sister Anne Dempsey & cousin Margaret Gregg were there in the early 50's, also Eileen Gregg & Cath Singleton. In my class was Linda Rawlins ( who had an older brother caller Terry ) Kathleen Royston & Valerie Powell, we all went on to St Pauls & caught up at the reunion. Am trying to remember more names :loopy: My name was Elizabeth Dempsey

• Like 1

I went to St Maries from 57 -63 remember Miss Worth ( with the big boobies she used to rest her arms on them!! Sr Maria took the reception class - she was a gentle nun & Sr Mary Dennis was the head teacher, no fond memories of her!!! Kevin Dempsey was my 2nd Cousin a bit older than me. My older sister Anne Dempsey & cousin Margaret Gregg were there in the early 50's, also Eileen Gregg & Cath Singleton. In my class was Linda Rawlins ( who had an older brother caller Terry ) Kathleen Royston & Valerie Powell, we all went on to St Pauls & caught up at the reunion. Am trying to remember more names :loopy: My name was Elizabeth Dempsey

I had a very good friend who wert there her name was Rosaleen Kelly and I believe her brother was called Terry

On 05/01/2012 at 10:02, ianjohnson said:

i went there around 1961 to 66 then onto St Pauls. I remember Miss worth, sister mary dennis and her bat.

How do I reply to your correspondents?

I went to St Marie’s boys school on Edmund Road in 1932. The headmaster was Brother Leander. My first teacher was Miss Flynn and I had Brother Matthew in the scholarship class. One of my classmates was Patrick McGoohan from Ireland. Someone paid for him to go to a Catholic public school. He became an actor and played Danger Man in film and TV

FRANK  MURPHY

murphyjfrank@gmail.com

On 08/10/2020 at 19:27, Frank Murphy said:

I went to St Marie’s boys school on Edmund Road in 1932. The headmaster was Brother Leander. My first teacher was Miss Flynn and I had Brother Matthew in the scholarship class. One of my classmates was Patrick McGoohan from Ireland. Someone paid for him to go to a Catholic public school. He became an actor and played Danger Man in film and TV

FRANK  MURPHY

murphyjfrank@gmail.com

Thank you for your information regarding Patrick McGoohan.  His Wikipedia page has now been updated to include his attendance at  St Marie's school.

4 of us & a few cousins went to St. Marie's roughly from around the early 1960's to the mid 1970's, not long after the new school was built up at Fulwood.   We all ended up at St Paul's / All Saints on Granville Rd. 

Certainly remember Sister Mary Dennis, or Sister Hairy Menace, as some called her.  She was a scary Nun.  Used to strike fear into small children.  You never heard her coming.  It was like she was on wheels; seemed to glide across the floor? 

Certainly remember the small ping-pong bat that she would suddenly produce from her robes.  If you were lucky, you'd get the flat side of the bat on your hand.  Occasionally, it might have been the bat, edge on, on the back of the hand. Different times then. 

Teachers I & friends recall?  Miss Cane (Caine), apt for a teacher & what you got on a Monday morning if no one spotted you at any mass the previous day.  Being made to stand in the corner facing the wall if you'd done something you shouldn't have or having to stand on a chair while the whole class looked at you being ridiculed.  (Is it too late to put a compo claim in do you think on Human Rights grounds?). 

Also seem to recall a young novice Nun, Sister Irene in the reception class who was great with children.  I know she never became a Nun as she left & a few years later my mum, brothers & sister bumped into her coming out of a house in Nether Edge. 

Also remember the massive, metal, main front door; the classrooms' folding doors that could be set back to make one large room that ran most of the length of each floor; the Brothers' house at the far end of the building, just over the wall & the supposedly 'haunted' bell tower.   Rumour was a female pupil once hung herself up there?  (Let's face it, good story to keep the children from climbing up to the bell tower).  The wooden floor classrooms - picked up many a splinter. 

Anyone remember Mr Riles' (think that was his name?) sweet shop just down towards St. Mary's Rd that would be packed with kids & their mums, just after school ended for the day? 

Edited by Baron99

I was thear 1959 to 1963 lived round corner on sheaf Gardens remember dave and dian Simpson Paul oates our head teacher sister Mary Dennis happy days

On 18/10/2009 at 11:21, pearson158 said:

Myself and my 2 sisters went there Margaret, Glenys and Yvonne Kelly. Sister Mary was evil..........................................................................................

I went there in 63 for 6 months and moved to Foxhill so went to ST Thomas Mores at Grenoside. The nuns were evil there too. Sister Brendan 4 foot tall but jeeez she was an evil old B-----d . Now as I have grown up I realise how nasty the nuns were.

Same year as me

On 18/10/2020 at 00:41, Baron99 said:

4 of us & a few cousins went to St. Marie's roughly from around the early 1960's to the mid 1970's, not long after the new school was built up at Fulwood.   We all ended up at St Paul's / All Saints on Granville Rd. 

Certainly remember Sister Mary Dennis, or Sister Hairy Menace, as some called her.  She was a scary Nun.  Used to strike fear into small children.  You never heard her coming.  It was like she was on wheels; seemed to glide across the floor? 

Certainly remember the small ping-pong bat that she would suddenly produce from her robes.  If you were lucky, you'd get the flat side of the bat on your hand.  Occasionally, it might have been the bat, edge on, on the back of the hand. Different times then. 

Teachers I & friends recall?  Miss Cane (Caine), apt for a teacher & what you got on a Monday morning if no one spotted you at any mass the previous day.  Being made to stand in the corner facing the wall if you'd done something you shouldn't have or having to stand on a chair while the whole class looked at you being ridiculed.  (Is it too late to put a compo claim in do you think on Human Rights grounds?). 

Also seem to recall a young novice Nun, Sister Irene in the reception class who was great with children.  I know she never became a Nun as she left & a few years later my mum, brothers & sister bumped into her coming out of a house in Nether Edge. 

Also remember the massive, metal, main front door; the classrooms' folding doors that could be set back to make one large room that ran most of the length of each floor; the Brothers' house at the far end of the building, just over the wall & the supposedly 'haunted' bell tower.   Rumour was a female pupil once hung herself up there?  (Let's face it, good story to keep the children from climbing up to the bell tower).  The wooden floor classrooms - picked up many a splinter. 

Anyone remember Mr Riles' (think that was his name?) sweet shop just down towards St. Mary's Rd that would be packed with kids & their mums, just after school ended for the day? 

Use to go in Mr riles shop as a kid grew up and started work and still went in for my ciggies he was a nice man was Mr riles

Yes, I was there through the 60s. When nuns ruled the world and you were whacked on the hands and legs with rulers. 

Apparently pain is purifying ????