Did anyone go to St Maries school on Edmund Rd

I went to St Maries. 1948? I think. I was in the Centenary production about St Maries Church. did the Prologue and the Epilogue../ The Spirit of the Bells. my Title..Wow It seems about a hundred years ago.. Miss Flynn and Mr Mc ?? the headmaster>.? Must have been around the time of when they had the old railway horses pulling the empty goods trucks in Queens road Rly Yard.

the School Bell had me running in the morning as I came all the way from Meadowhead on the bus.My Siter Pat Kenrick..She went to Notre Dame.I went on to DeLa Salle. My first Girl friend Wendy Synot(?)

Edited by pjkay
additional info

Anyone remember Monica Axelby from the 1940s?

I think I remember Monica Axelby ---not sure but her cousin was a girl called Maureen Mason who was at St Vincents with me and then at Notre Dame.

hazel

I think I remember Monica Axelby ---not sure but her cousin was a girl called Maureen Mason who was at St Vincents with me and then at Notre Dame.

hazel

Monica lived off Leadmill road and may also have been called Monica Higgins, her married name was Monica Wathall.

i went for its final year, my first year at school. it must have been in 71, i was born in 66 so its seems about right. my teacher was a nun who was really nice but when i moved up to st maries oin fulwood i remember the headteacher sister mary dennis used to regularly punish pupils with a big table tennis type bat, often for very minor offences. i had it several times. a bit brutal

Hi,

My Brother went to this school. He was born in 1952 and I think it was his first school so possibly around 1957 until the early 60s. His name was Paul Oates and he lived at number 52 Sheaf Gardens.

I remember one day after school someone broke a window at the school and the priest ran after my brother, he ran into our house screaming that God was after him.

Does anyone remember Paul? His friends were John Hall, Gordon Jones, Trevor Deacon ,Pat Mayor and lots more I can’t remember.

Any go to St Maries RC

There was a rumour that went round when the school became empty. A kid called mark (surname withheld due to shame lol) went to steal the school bell. This was apparently quite big and heavy? and fell on him causing him some injury. I have a vague memory the bell was high up on a wall or roof. Can anyone recall?

Oooh Sister Mary Dennis, I remember her from my time at St Maries, She used to scare me back then. :sad:

She must have been attached to that bat, because she had it then, (and used it often).

Wonder what she would do now?

C

Remember them all, Pat lived in the terrace and his dad was a magician.

Methinks remember climbing down your drainpipe

Regards

Old leadmolion

I’m sure you are right.

I remember the kids used to run through our kitchen from Sheaf Gardens and end up in Manton Street.

C

C

I thought it was you when you came on the leadmill road thread. Many water pass under bridge, have talked to Deakin boys on forum. Had many good hols in Paphos but use Zante n Goa now. Sheffield change too fast for us old uns, I'm employed as NHS transport manager and still lose ambulances, bring back cobbled roads they slowed you down.

right back to work, nice to hear and hope you and yours are well

Regards

HW

I went to st maries in the 1940 s and left in 47 I have a photo of the football team in 1946 with carl stocks terry fenwick ron staniforth cyril barnes

johnny golland pat mc cabe and others

I can share this with anyone who is interestsd