Zeppelin Raids, especially Rex Warneford.

What altitude was the Zeppelin as it was dropping its bombs around Sheffield? I've often wondered about this.
You should have watched the Zeppelin raids on TV last night it was informative and mentioned Rex Warneford and he was pictured in news clips.I understand some bombs were dropped in the Burngreave and Pitsmoor areas of Sheffield.

tyler family 7 in total were killed on corby street headstone in burngreave cemetery

You should have watched the Zeppelin raids on TV last night it was informative and mentioned Rex Warneford and he was pictured in news clips.I understand some bombs were dropped in the Burngreave and Pitsmoor areas of Sheffield.

My gt grandma , Elizabeth Bellamy nee Pigott age 56 was killed when a bomb from Zeppelin L22 exploded outside her house at 43 Writtle St (now Maxwell Way) on 26 Sep 1916. She was hit by shrapnel which came through bedroom window while she was checking her grand-daughter (my 9 month old mum) in her cot & died in Royal Hospital the following day.

Edited by johnpm

Bugger, wish I'd known it was on:roll::roll:

What channel was it on? It should be available on catch up or I Player.

John

That sounds interesting, I'll have a word with my cousin and my relatives who have a lot more info on Rex than I have but they don't live in Sheffield

Hey Linda,

hope you will see this. I was not able to answer privately your question as you need to have posted first 5 not private items. And I lost also my password to enter this forum. Finally sorted out to try to reach you.

There are two commemorations concerning Warneford where our plane is involved :

at Highworth: have a look at

http:// highworthremembers.co.uk/ and omit the spaces before you copy it as i was not allowed to enter url's

and in Belgium where Rex downed the Zeppelin. The major commemoration over there is on June 7th, have a look at :

https:// sites.google.com/site/luchtschipontploftbovengent/

same here do omit the spaces

you can contact me directly at jjj.vanbeselaere at gmail dot com if you like, so I'm sure you have read this.

Johan Vanbeselaere

Poelcapelle 1917 Assocition vzw

Belgium

Age affects my memory, tonight I cannot remember a fact that I may remember tomorrow!

On the 25th September 1916 my mother was asleep in her cot aged three months at their house in Ca??? Road in Sheffield when a Zeppelin dropped a bomb close by. Although rubble fell on her cot she only suffered minor injuries. Their house had to be demolished and the family was rehoused in the rural village of Tinsley.