Zeppelin Raids, especially Rex Warneford.

I am particularly interested in how Zeppelin raids affected the community, their reactions, the effect on morale etc.

If Denlin would get in touch, I would appreciate it.

I can't tell you a great deal other than Rex was my grandmothers cousin and he was first person to shoot down a Zeppelin with an aeroplane. This happened in June 1915. He was hailed a hero given the VC and French Legion of Honour in same day and he was killed in a freak accident a few days later aged 23. My grandmother never mentioned him and it was only recently when my cousin started researching the family history that we found out about him. Not having lived through a war I have no knowledge of how lives were affected other than tales passed down but certainly nothing of the effect Zeppelins had, my mother was 2 when Rex was killed. Den has more tales to impart as he is into history of warfare. There is a book about Rex which was written by family member. I have a copy but have loaned it to a colleague at moment. Will be pleased to give you update when I get it back

Linda

Is this book "Warneford VC" by Mary Gibson? If so I already have a copy, signed by the author.

If there is any other book, I would be interested to know the title.

Paul

Hi i tell you a story about the zeppelin my wifes grandmother told me how her parents got together during ww1 . Grams mother had 4 or 5 kids and her husband was killed on the front but her dad who also had 4 or 5 kids his wife was killed in a zeppelin raid she had her leggs blown off also one her sons saw this and ended up in a mental home for the rest of his life.Thus they met and had grama .But the thing i remember the best is she said was that they had a collection for her dad but he never got a penny from that or the goverment to help him with kids .And he would never buy a poppy or any one in his famly

Is this book "Warneford VC" by Mary Gibson? If so I already have a copy, signed by the author.

Paul

Yes that's right, think she is great niece of Rex but other than that don't know a deal. My grandma was Florence Annie Warneford before she married my Grandad Stephen Gill when she was 16. They had 14 children Florence, Lily, Ethel, Stephen, , Clifford, Ada (my mum), her twin George, Cyril, Ernest, Winnie, Rose, Edna, Joyce and Evelyn,

Think I've got them in right order

Hi,

just found this thread looking for family members of Rex Warneford.

We are up to organizing something in 2015 in Gent,Belgium,where the Zeppelin felt, destroyed by Rex. We would love to invite Warnefords as close as possible to Rex. Seems Denlin is family and a cousin of her did some research. Could you please contact me if you want to ?

Greetings

Johan Vanbeselaere

Belgium

That sounds interesting, I'll have a word with my cousin and my relatives who have a lot more info on Rex than I have but they don't live in Sheffield

thanks for any help.Looking for "close" relatives, but other related Warnefords are also welcome of course. You can contact me on my e-mailaddress if you want to. Do not know if you can reach it here. I can not reach yours.

Greetings

Johan Vanbeselaere

I remember looking in the local papers for news of this raid and found that owing to censorship at the time Sheffield was never mentioned by name, only as a Midland Town.

Paul

HI Paul Do you happen to be a relation of David White an old friendof mine late Local Surveyors Dept Thank you Arthur /Arfer Mo.

An amusing tale passed down the family and therefore perhaps containing some distorted information.

My maternal grandparents who lived on Gleadless Road either heard the approach of the Zeppelin or were told of it's approach. They left the house for what they thought was the safety of Grandfathers allotment at Cat Lane.

Now how safe was that, running up Gleadless Road and then taking shelter either in a greenhouse or a wooden hut ?

What altitude was the Zeppelin as it was dropping its bombs around Sheffield? I've often wondered about this.