BELL HAG INN, Crosspool

Originally posted by melissalil

Musey is right. My sister ran this pub its too far out for people to walk to and isolated, she only survived because of the B&B they used to do. Also lots of pubs have closed down recently. I think that most of the people who comment on pubs closing never actually go in any of them

I did go in a few times last year, there was about 4 people in who probably actually lived there anyway. Beer was good though....

Used to drink here a lot back in the mid 80's when I walked down from Lodge Moor.......was famous in the area for its late night lock ins until 2 or 3 in the morning if you were a 'regular'.

It used to have a big car park but that has vanished......

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Used to drink here a lot back in the mid 80's when I walked down from Lodge Moor.......was famous in the area for its late night lock ins until 2 or 3 in the morning if you were a 'regular'.

It used to have a big car park but that has vanished......

Maybe our paths crossed, goldenfleece.

I recall heading for the Bell Hagg in 1987 after all the other pubs had closed for a bit of AB. Got well and truly wrecked and recall the staggering walk home down Tom Lane that followed.

And the crappy little pool table downstairs - well, through the hatch! Not get away with that these days, Health and Safety and all that.

And you're right about the carpark. Didn't leave much room to park on a road more dangerous than Brands Hatch unless ofcause you popped across the road to buy some Baby Bio and left your car there.

When I was a student, I occasionally went along to the Bell Hagg to play pool in the secret room downstairs, with some mates who were brought up local to it and were from that area. You sort of went through the beer cellar which had locked cupboards either side with all the gubbins in.

There was a huge poster on the wall which said "brick is beautiful"

Must have been around 1988

Ah yes the pool table, remember it well......was always too drunk to hold a cue straight........

Originally posted by melissalil

Musey is right. My sister ran this pub its too far out for people to walk to and isolated, she only survived because of the B&B they used to do. Also lots of pubs have closed down recently. I think that most of the people who comment on pubs closing never actually go in any of them

My Mum and Dad used to 'keep' the Bell Hagg. Lived there from about '59 to '63. Remember playing in the woods and the stables underneath. There was a quarry accross the road. Went to Lydgate Lane Infants, Crosspool - anyone there then?

The venue of my first date with my wife back in 1982, an illicit rendevouz. I remember sitting outside under the wall, hopefully out of sight!

I suspect it has gone down hill since drink/driving as there is no regular bus service. I remember it changing its name to the John Thomas though I think that was short-lived but it never picked up in recent years.