Sheaf pub on Fraser Road, Millhouses

From my experience of the sheaf it had a hardcore of about a dozen regular customers but would liven up somewhat at weekends due to the managements tendency for a bit of after hours which was renowned in the area!

If this place is going to be reliant on local patrons then i'm afraid it will not last long!

I'm not so sure. I used to live on Fraser Road and I only ever went in there about twice, purely because it had that typical 'estate pub' feel to it which seriously put me off. I expect I wasn't the only one either.

If the new owners are giving it a full-on makeover with local ales, entertainments and the like, I can imagine a lot of locals who chose not to go there for the same reason I did may well decide to give it another go and find that they like it under its new guise.

Sorry to be a kill joy but I for one am not looking forward to the Sheaf opening because some land lords don’t have any consideration for residence that live in the area. The last land was fine but the one before was very ignorant and inconsiderate of the residence. However I prepared to give people a chance and the benefit of doubt lets hope this new owner is considerate.

Looking forward to trying it out at some stage soon! We always walk to Sheaf View or White Lion or even Kelham Island, but this is much nearer and very welcome!

Like how they are trying to make out its in Millhouses when its in woodseats, probs hoping they can charge more ;)

Only down the road from me so hope they turn it into a decent boozer, by rights it should be the best one on woodseats considering the others are all on the main road.

Sorry to be a kill joy but I for one am not looking forward to the Sheaf opening because some land lords don’t have any consideration for residence that live in the area. The last land was fine but the one before was very ignorant and inconsiderate of the residence. However I prepared to give people a chance and the benefit of doubt lets hope this new owner is considerate.

Was the pub not there when you bought the house nearby?

Was the pub not there when you bought the house nearby?

The pub was there before I moved into the area what’s you’re point? ….

The pub was there before I moved into the area what’s you’re point? ….

You really need to ask what my point is? :huh: it doesn't take much working out.

Like someone buying a house on a busy road and complaining about traffic...

Yep I completely agree, I do hope it does well - i'm not really familliar with many family friendly pubs in that area but I think it could definately go for a new one.

Apologies for sounding so grumpy in my previous post - I didn't realise how grumpy it sounded until I read it back!

I don't think you sounded grumpy at all. It is a fact that if everyone waited 6 months to try a new place there would be no new places they would have all gone bust. That's a fair point.

It's also fair enough of mr beegee to wish to wait until others try it first. He is what would be known in marketing terms as a "late adopter". They need the opinion of others to reassure them about something before they try it.

However, some places start out good and get quickly worse!

Hope it does well but think they may have their work cut out.

Can't help feel that with so many pubs opening then shutting that the bottom line is that there is just not the market for as many pubs these days.

In that area you have well established pubs like the Waggon that strugle and loads of competition at Woodseats.

I'm off to look at a Bing map now to find out exactly where Fraser Road is. Some are saying it's near Sainsbury's on Archer Road, some are saying it's in Woodseats (which is nowhere near Sainsbury's on Archer Road) and Fuds here is saying it will have competition from the "Waggon" which I assume to be the "Waggon and Horses" at Millhouses - which again is nowhere near Sainsbury's on Archer Road.

The reason why so many pubs are closing is largely to do with the greed of the breweries who own them - charging excessively high rents. That's what is killing off many of the pubs.

If a pub opens and closes again quickly then that is very poor business planning I'm afraid. They should know what their "local" market is going to be to start off with. Is it "local" trade for example? People on foot? in cars? on public transport? Which other pubs are they directly competing with? How will they attract customers? What is their offering? Are they aiming for the family market? the serious drinkers? what age groups? what kind of drinks and food would appeal most? etc etc etc.

Basic questions that every pub landlord should know all the answers to before starting out - but more often than not, they don't have a clue. They open what they think is a nice pub and then get surprised when it goes tits up.

If you turn right at the Big Tree pub on Woodsseats and then 1st right again that is Fraser Road, carry on for about 600yds down the hill and you will find on your left hand side, the post code for the Sheaf was Woodseats as is the Fraser Estate. It is nearer Sainsbury's than the Big Tree. Sainsbury's is on Archer Road and Fraser Road links Archer Road to Woodseats

I don't think you sounded grumpy at all. It is a fact that if everyone waited 6 months to try a new place there would be no new places they would have all gone bust. That's a fair point.

It's also fair enough of mr beegee to wish to wait until others try it first. He is what would be known in marketing terms as a "late adopter". They need the opinion of others to reassure them about something before they try it.

However, some places start out good and get quickly worse!

How wrong you are. I have my own tried and tested methods of finding out about pubs and these methods serve me well. If I did indeed seek the assurance of others I might get no further than the current pub/beer of the year, as deemed by CAMRA.

As it is, I don't care a toss whatever the marketeers want to label me as. I enjoy a great number of nights out drinking great beers in a myriad of pubs in Sheffield and much further afield. I have a fiercely individual idea of where I want to drink, when I want to drink, what I like to drink, what atmosphere I want to drink in and what I think is a fair price. I do a great deal of research and I am the best judge for me. Other's posts are useful only in so far as giving a feel of what beers are available.

My main point was that when a pub is new it is atypical of what it will be a few months later. The staff won't be trying so hard to impress and the punters will not all be just trying the new place out. I'd rather let that phase pass.