Mums dogs attacked near Firth Park

I have read all these sickly and cloying sentiments regarding the unfortunate dogs.

Yet when a child is maimed and sometimes killed you lot barely comment unless to blame the child for having the temerity to be in the same space as the dog.

You lot are a breed on your own never mind differentiating between other dog types.

If you all have such wonderful dogs how come they cause so much trouble.

I think it is unfair to put all dog owners together, just because we own dogs does not mean we all have the same veiws and opinions. I veiw a dog as an animal and all animals can be unpredictable, it is up to an owner to control and ensure it never gets into situations that are potentially dangerous. No situation is ever clear cut, but I do believe they are originally caused by poor choices by the owner.

I do think 'how they cause so much trouble' is a a bit over the top, when you look at the numbers involved.

http://www.dognews.co.uk/uk-domestic-dog-population-is-larger-than-originally-thought-3/ Now they estimate that 31% of households in the UK have a dog. NHS statistics show the number attending A&E after a dog attack has risen by more than 40% in the last four years to nearly 3,800 a year, this figure includes 'strikes' when a dog causes injury by running into you as they are recorded under the same code. http://www.hesonline.nhs.uk/Ease/servlet/ContentServer?siteID=1937&categoryID=864

Most attacks are on children from the family dog. Considering the number of dogs the number of reported bites is much lower than I would expect. All joys in life have a risk, 56 people a week die on Britains roads, roughly 85% of the population are car owners. Dogs are very safe in comparison.

Edited by Evei

I've been reading this thread & felt the need to post my opinion. It really is time the laws were changed to make dog owners more responsible and accountable for their animals, after all, nobody knows their animals better than their owners. I'm not going to single out pitbulls, or other aggressive breeds, because ALL dogs are wild animals by nature - it's the treatment they receive from their owners which determine their temperament. Fact. If people can't look after their dogs more responsibly, they should be banned from owning them always. Until the laws are altered, these incidents will unfortunately continue to happen.

Several years ago we took in a little Jack Russell terrier that my son found dodging the traffic on Chesterfield Road, he was in a terrible state and had obviously been a stray for a long time, we took care of him and eventually he regained is health. In the home he was the most adorable dog and he was perfectly happy when my son visited with his labrador and mongrel bitches, but on his walks he turned into your worst nightmare, so much so that I stopped going with my husband on his daily walks, without his lead he would have attacked every dog he met. It was obvious that he had had a very bad time when he was a stray, he was covered in bite marks and old scars and with all the best intentions in the world we found it impossible to help him overcome his over-the-top self-protection instincts. We loved this little dog so much, long time posters on the forum may remember that Luke ran away twice and I asked for help from forumers, they were so kind and helpful, some in particular 'Msbehavin' helped to distribute our leaflets and so many looked out for him on the streets, fortunately both times a kind person found him a contacted us.

Dog owners should always be aware that previously well behaved dogs can turn in a moment and cause injury and death and it is our responsibility, no one else's, to ensure that this does not happen.

update on taz, he is back at the vets today hopfully healing well other than his front leg which keeps giving way. the wounds on his chest are also starting to close. still off his food & missing deedee. its not put him off going out either.

its in the star tonight but he has become a girl am sur he doesnt mind.

Rotties and staffies have a bad name from chavs who show off their 'hard dogs' Tell me honestly you have never seen a rottie muzzled.

They are animals like all dogs and ur missing his point.

A terrier or summat small who is vicious won't/can't inflict the damage the breed mentioned will.

Don't be naive and try to tell us all staffies and rotweilers are pleasant natured dogs by nature, they have to be raised,like all dog, in a pleasant and loving environment to be pleasant dogs themselves.

If their upbringing is wrong then the dogs breed is a MAJOR factor.

as a qualified veterinary nurse i can honestly say during my time nursing ive only had to muzzle 1 rottie.... and that was to clip its nails :hihi: i totally agree with ur post about chavs having these breeds as status dogs and the upbringing of these breeds plays a huge part in their behaviour.... again i completely agree...... and im not saying there arnt aggressive staffies or rotties around i just dont like it when there targeted as a breed and not individuals... my rottie had 5 homes in the 11months of her life.... and shes turned out to be a cracking dog so i suppose ive been lucky really as this might have sent some dogs over the edge and led to many problems

I feel so sorry for your mum, it must have been a terrible experience. I have a 15 year old friendly dog and worry all the time about other dogs when walking her, although luckily I have only ever met responsible owners. Poor Taz i hope he recovers.

Just like all the other threads about staffy attacks, this is the kind of nonsense the staffy owners will come out of the woodwork to post.

Every staffy owner's pet is as daft as a brush, wouldn't hurt a fly, great with children, blah blah blah. Then their pet attacks an innocent child or kills another dog and it's either "oh he's never done that before " or "it's your own fault, you provoked him".

Let's face it, there's no such thing as a responsble staffy owner, simply because no responsible dog owner would ever keep such a vicious breed as a pet.

No you can't blame the dog, as a staffy's natural instinct is to attack any other animal or person that comes near it, but why do people continue to keep these vile creatures as pets and stick their fingers in their ears when people try to tell them how dangerous they are?

Is that it then, or are there more subjects that you know bog all about? :huh:

I have never owned a staffy, but have worked with every breed of dog at a boarding kennel for 20 years. There are no bad dogs just owners that don't train them properly. I have seen some lovely staffy's and rotties, and some vicious yorkshire terriers, it's the owners not the dogs.

just read on the star web page that the dog that did this attack is still in the kennels & not been destroyed. i am very angry mum was told to it has been destroyed.

just read on the star web page that the dog that did this attack is still in the kennels & not been destroyed. i am very angry mum was told to it has been destroyed.

Its not unheard of for the star to get it wrong.