Mums dogs attacked near Firth Park

Dogs are not born viscious. They are learning creatures. Unfortunately in our society these 'pitbull types' are kept for the wrong reasons. Irresponsible owners with dogs that haven't had loving sociable homes is a recipe for disaster.

I have never had a problem with walking my dogs off the lead in 15 years or meeting any other dog walkers. I suppose if i lived in a rundown area i'd be on my guard more against these types of dog and owners. These dogs are bred for being aggressive and sometimes fighting purposes. :roll:

Hope your mutts pull through anyway :D

I know and agree with you, I'm not trying to suggest that they are born bad, but that they often do have a predisposition to fighting.

I live fairly close to the area that this happened and there are just sooo many bull breeds around here, it is the main breed that you see, and I admit that I have become quite scared of them (not for myself but for my own dogs) all that you can do is hope that the owner is responsible when you meet them out walking...some are some aren't, but the ones that aren't and particularly the ones that allow them to roam should really have the full weight of the law thrown at them IMO, and particularly if the dog has shown aggression in the past.

I am not against the breed as such, but more the type of owners that they sadly attract, and then there is the type in denial...know your dog and be realistic and everyone would be a lot happier.

Im so sorry to hear about this :(

Yesterday evening i took my little boy to the park at Shirecliffe. There were a group of boys playing football and a lady walked in and let her dog off the lead. Yes it was only a terrier but one of the boys was obviously scared of the dog and was screaming his head off as it ran straight up to them and took the football. then if that wasn't enough she brought the dog into the kids playing area and let the dog run around whilst there was little toddlers and kids playing. What stupidity, i have a big dog and i always have it muzzled and on a harness when ever it is out of my property.

I just dont know what people are thinking when they let their dogs off the leads??

this is so so sad! im so sorry one of the dogs didnt survive, please let us all know how things go! xx

I just dont know what people are thinking when they let their dogs off the leads??

Dogs need to run and tire themselves out - hard sometimes when on a lead. People are thinking they want to their dogs to be healthy - although the woman you describe sounds like a completely thoughtless idiot. Poor kids.

Yesterday evening i took my little boy to the park at Shirecliffe. There were a group of boys playing football and a lady walked in and let her dog off the lead. Yes it was only a terrier but one of the boys was obviously scared of the dog and was screaming his head off as it ran straight up to them and took the football. then if that wasn't enough she brought the dog into the kids playing area and let the dog run around whilst there was little toddlers and kids playing. What stupidity, i have a big dog and i always have it muzzled and on a harness when ever it is out of my property.

This owner was extremely irresponsible, I let my dog off as she needs the exercise but always put her back on the lead when I see children playing as she is used to playing with my son and his friends so thinks all children want to play. I would also never have her off lead in a children's play area even if it's only my son playing.

Dogs need to run and tire themselves out - hard sometimes when on a lead. People are thinking they want to their dogs to be healthy - although the woman you describe sounds like a completely thoughtless idiot. Poor kids.

my dog does get lots of exercise but i do take him out of Sheffield if he is going to be off the lead and walk him where there are no kids etc. Im just one of these people that thinks its better to be safe then sorry. I just dont think dogs should be off leads in parks. How many other children or dogs need to be injured or killed.

I wouldn't take my dog into a children's play area mainly because there is no need. That area is designed for children, not dogs. Although I don't and wouldn't put her on the lead if I saw a group of children playing football on a field. She often goes over to new things out of interest then comes back to me when she's finished having a sniff.

If children start screaming at the sight of a dog then I am afraid that is their problem, not mine.

Dogs need the exercise just as much as the children and fortunately we both have the right to be in public places. It surprises and saddens me at the number of people who seem to keep their dogs on leads at all times.

That said, I accept that some dog owners are irresponsible in lots of ways. But that's nothing new. Lots of parents are irresponsible too....

I wouldn't take my dog into a children's play area mainly because there is no need. That area is designed for children, not dogs. Although I don't and wouldn't put her on the lead if I saw a group of children playing football on a field. She often goes over to new things out of interest then comes back to me when she's finished having a sniff.

If children start screaming at the sight of a dog then I am afraid that is their problem, not mine.

Dogs need the exercise just as much as the children and fortunately we both have the right to be in public places. It surprises and saddens me at the number of people who seem to keep their dogs on leads at all times.

That said, I accept that some dog owners are irresponsible in lots of ways. But that's nothing new. Lots of parents are irresponsible too....

It is your responsibility as a dog owner to ensure your dog isn't approaching people who don't want it near them. Just as it is a parents responsibility to ensure their child does not approach a dog without permission. I'm sorry but I agree dogs need exercise but people also have the right not to be approached by dogs if they don't want to be.

really hope the dog's make a full recovery &

"why do people own dog when they cant control them?"

I think its a Macho thing and ppl dont and wont reliese bull breeds are lethal , its way overdue that Bull breeds are muzzled in public or destroyed imo

It's not the dog nor the breed but the owners who ruin these dogs and make them vicious!!

I know of 2 Pits who are like soft teddy bears, both are loving and non aggressive, they have been trained and rarely even bark, again if you take any dog and treat it wrong it will become aggressive and a terror when loose!

Dogs need obedience and love from the owners otherwise they go out of control and start acting mad.

I have a Staff' Bull Terrier, I am not 'macho' and she is as good as gold, she does not do anything unless given an order by me, again if I treated her badly she would be a problem eventually but she one isn't naturally!

Unfortunately Pits and Staffs' have a bad reputation, which isn't nice but again when people treat them badly you can't expect anything else. However most bull breeds are nice pleasant and friendly dogs. The bad press of badly looked after dogs has led to bull breeds being seen as vicious and nasty.

I hope the 2 dogs recover well and the dangerous dog is found!

Edited by fridayfeelin

It is your responsibility as a dog owner to ensure your dog isn't approaching people who don't want it near them. Just as it is a parents responsibility to ensure their child does not approach a dog without permission. I'm sorry but I agree dogs need exercise but people also have the right not to be approached by dogs if they don't want to be.

No, people don't have a right not to be approached by a dog. Me? I don't like spiders...that doesn't mean I have a right not to find one in my bathtub.

If I was so desperately terrified of dogs I wouldn't go to a place where I know they will be. That's just common sense. Owners will always take their dogs to local grassy areas and there isn't a lot that can be done about it.

No, people don't have a right not to be approached by a dog. Me? I don't like spiders...that doesn't mean I have a right not to find one in my bathtub.

If I was so desperately terrified of dogs I wouldn't go to a place where I know they will be. That's just common sense. Owners will always take their dogs to local grassy areas and there isn't a lot that can be done about it.

People have a right to feel safe in a public space and shouldn't have to avoid going to a park or local field because irresponsible dog owners like you will not keep control of their dog. It is my problem if my dog approaches someone without permission and scares them (even though she's one of the softest dogs you could meet) and it is also my problem if my child approaches a dog without permission and gets hurt. It is the both parents and dog owners responsibility to teach their child/dog how to be around people and dogs. Just because dogs like to explore new things doesn't mean they have a right to approach anyone and it's people like you that give dog owners a bad name.

It is my problem if my dog approaches someone without permission and scares them (even though she's one of the softest dogs you could meet)

Just common sense really. Most people i meet on dog walks are dog people anyway and our dogs have a blast playing with each other. If you know someone might not like dogs then you adapt to the situation like anything in life ;)