Is a job in a supermarket, the equivalent of a steelworks job 50 years ago?

anyone can work in a supermarket ,but to work in steelworks u need some skill .you don't do an apprenticeship to stack shelves or work a till but u do to work c.n.c ,lathes borers ,grinders etc ,u need a degree to work in metallurgy all these skills are what make u the money can the same be said to someone who merely places a can of beans on a shelve.

I would potentially disagree, getting a job in the new Asdas or Tescos is quite difficult.

Even people with experience are being turned away.

With regards the steelworks, can they offer a job for life anymore?

I would potentially disagree, getting a job in the new Asdas or Tescos is quite difficult.

I dont think anywere can offer a job for life anymore,sadly those days are long gone .

Pensons, I would imagine if you got into somewhere such as Tesco at 16, by the time you got to 65, if you paid into the pension pot for 49 years, you would ge one hell of a pension on retirement - how many industrys could give you that?

Most pensions now are money purchase schemes and are transferable when you change jobs, to call them “one hell of a pension “ though is :hihi:

RichMeh, I've applied for Supermarket work years ago, and more recently I applied to the new ASDA in S5, Co Op in S6 said I was "over-qualified", and the ASDA wouldn't progress my application cos I can't work evenings or weekends (for personal reasons, do NOT start about me being "workshy", I am not)

Isn’t that like asking for a job working behind a bar and then saying I cant do evenings and weekends. :D

Edited by Grandad.Malky

That's mainly because most supermarkets want to train people their own way and the fact that jobs are scarce and many people will apply. Just because someone has experience doesn't mean they are good at the job.

No.

Learning a trade was once classed as a job for life but nowadays no one can be guaranteed that. It should be like politics where you have to re-apply for the job every 4-5 years, that way everyone gets a chance at a job.

. It should be like politics where you have to re-apply for the job every 4-5 years, that way everyone gets a chance at a job.

I can’t see anyone getting a mortgage or making long term plans if they thought they had to reapply for their job every few years.

I can’t see anyone getting a mortgage or making long term plans if they thought they had to reapply for their job every few years.

Not every few year but after 5 should be OK. People already get made redundant and find other jobs even though they have a mortgage and those who are good at their jobs shouldn't need to worry.

When people start a new job they are willing and eager but after many years in the same job they tend to get complacent and lose interest in their original goal. The NHS is a prime example of that happening and politicians show it up well.

I'm not sure how many other countries have a redundancy payments policy like the UK. It wouldn't surprise me that in the near future no long term job guarantees will be made and redundancy payments will cease.

Edited by fake
adition

I'm not sure how many other countries have a redundancy payments policy like the UK. It wouldn't surprise me that in the near future no long term job guarantees will be made and redundancy payments will cease.

I believe employment laws are tighter on the continent that here, on the TV this morning they were talking about employers “ down banding” employees rather than making them redundant so what makes you think employers want a continuous turnover of staff.

Thats because there is a shortage.The employers will recruit those likely to stay when the economy recovers;they will also opt for diligence and discpline rather then the creative,challenging person who may question their activities.It is difficult but that does not mean it is a skilled role.

That's mainly because most supermarkets want to train people their own way and the fact that jobs are scarce and many people will apply. Just because someone has experience doesn't mean they are good at the job.

No.

Learning a trade was once classed as a job for life but nowadays no one can be guaranteed that. It should be like politics where you have to re-apply for the job every 4-5 years, that way everyone gets a chance at a job.

If you think that then you have never studied the workings of labour markets;if it applied to the employers themselves then it might be a little appetising.

I agree with the OP's post. We used to live in an industrial society, but with the closure of many factories and the opening of shops, supermarkets and take aways, we now live in a consumer society

I agree with the OP's post. We used to live in an industrial society, but with the closure of many factories and the opening of shops, supermarkets and take aways, we now live in a consumer society

And that's the thing, you can't have an economy based around consumerism and the housing market

It was said that if you got into the steelworks, or the railways etc.... then you had a job for life.

Is a job in a supermarket the equivalent for the 16 year olds of 2011?

It is a secure job, with potentially good prospects.

So would you agree that a job in a Supermarket for a 16 year old in 2011, would be the equivalent of getting an apprenticeship at British Steel for a 16 year old, leaving school in 1953?

Working in a supermarket is nothing like steel works apprenticeship - The wages are lower, the earning potential is less and overtime is frequent with overtime pay being none existant...

Construction apprenticeships would be more similar, aside from the fact that apprenticeships in the steel works are still available...

No job is for life, and that hasn't been the case for quite some time... Most people spend about 2 years in each post...

Edited by Lady Star