Chips, how to cook the perfect chip

I,really fed up with soggy oven chips and want to cook chips like my mum used to, but not sure of which potatoes are the best and is lard better the cooking oil.Would love some ideas on how to cook the perfect chip. Many Thanks

I roast my own in the oven with salt, black pepper and rosemary.

Not traditional but I like them like way.

Others recommend frying them twice, once at a lower temperature then again at a higher temp to crisp them off but that either requires a heat adjustable deep fat fryer or faffing with thermometers.

Maris Piper are regarded as the potato of choice for chips as they have a high "dry matter content" which to you and me means they are a floury variety. Of course we are only just at the beginning of the maincrop season for potatoes and they will take a while before they reach good chipping maturity. Earlier potatoes have too high water content to make really good chips.

I'm not a chip maker myself, basically because my partner does them so well - she uses vegetable oil and fries them twice. I would have thought lard would be ok, as it has a high smoking point but think of all the saturated fat - take pity on your heart!

Although I'm not a chip lover, but everyone (upto now) says I make very nice chips. Maris pipers are a definite although I have used desires. Cut nice and chunky and deep fry at 130 C until slighty soft. Keep shaking the basket so that they don't stick together. They should just start to scuff at the edges. Then TAKE THEM OUT OF THE OIL and let them cool for about 10 minutes. The cooking process will continue and make the inside nice and fluffy. While waiting up the temp on the frier to 170C. Then drop them back in and cook until done, again keep shaking the basket to stop them sticking. That's about it never had a bad result.

Happy cooking!