Council campaign to remove Street Clutter

The Council have an initiative to remove unnecessary signs and other street clutter from Sheffield.

I think it's a great idea as there are far to many signs on most streets and many of them completely pointless or outdated.

There's a page about it and a link for submitting your nominations here -

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/schemes/sign-off

I've already nominated a few :thumbsup:

Surely the annual road inspection done by streetforce should find stuff like this and arrange for its removal .

And while they are at it, they ought to be enforcing their rules about no A-boards being permitted to clutter the streets for partially sighted or blind people to fall over, and to block the ways of parents with prams and folk who rely on wheelchairs.

Maybe they'll start with their own clutter (Ecclesall Road)**? No? Thought not...

** See http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=757173&highlight=ecclesall

I already complained about the Carbon Quids clutter.

I also complained about the tatty banners on London Road that say stuff like "Sharrow Loves It's Music", "Sharrow Loves It's Streets", "Sharrow Loves It's Street Art", etc.

I objected to them not only on the grounds of clutter, but also on grammatical grounds :hihi:

The Council are forming a new pop group with Boy George: 'Clutter Club'.

I hope they get rid of A boards that you see outside shops, I'm sick of tripping over these horrible things.

A shop in Hillsborough, lent a sign up outside there shop, and I walked into it, and got an injury, however I got £6500 compensation

If A boards get reported then the council supposedly will act but they don't seem to of considered the point that streetforce workers could take note of such things. Same as Veolia workers could take note of houses that leave their bins out all week and report them but again it's left up to the general public to complain.

So many road signs are quite small and yet the council don't seem to want more than one sign per pole although I fully appreciate that the poles might not stand up if there were two or three big signs that the wind could catch.

How about those often badly sited bike stands that can create problems, again the council gave very little thought to them.

Why can't a small parking restriction sign be attached to a lamp post they're only the size of a postcard. Also sign poles have to be sited 450 mm in from the kerb edge but as that then means they are in the middle of the pavement then why isn't there any joined up thinking and have them sited at the rear of the footpath.

Well they don't seem to have done anything at all yet and there's more street clutter than ever. My personal pet hates at the moment are those printed banners that are everywhere, hung up wherever there's space, on walls, on park railings and from lamp posts.

Ecclesall Road used to be quite smart, but now it resembles somewhere from the USA or the third world. Does anyone know of even one sign that has been removed as part of the council campaign?

This might be useful, a street clutter audit from English Heritage that you can forward to your local councillor:

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/content/imported-docs/p-t/street-clutter-audit3

Edited by Nagel

I already complained about the Carbon Quids clutter.

I also complained about the tatty banners on London Road that say stuff like "Sharrow Loves It's Music", "Sharrow Loves It's Streets", "Sharrow Loves It's Street Art", etc.

I objected to them not only on the grounds of clutter, but also on grammatical grounds :hihi:

What, you mean the council don't know how to use apostrophes?