TB Outbreak in 2011

HIV/AIDs is the big problem.

Supressed immunity by the virus and readily infected or reactivated TB.

They've gone hand in hand over the past 30 years.

Just in case the usual suspects start accusing me & others of turning this post into a racist immigrant hammering thread!!!:suspect:
Well you are one of the 'usual suspects' arguendo ;)

I’ll try & give a bit more of balanced but brief explanation, when TB was endemic within the UK, Late 1850 - 1950 onwards, we were living in similar conditions to how many third world countries live today, we had multiple occupancy in homes especially in the poorest areas, hygiene etc was a big issue & although the TB had been identified it was incredibly difficult to treat. After BCG vaccine was used widely in the UK it began to drop to its lowest levels in the late 80’s, although worldwide it’s been increasing significantly, especially the Multi drug resistant variation.

Due to the already mentioned immigrant issues, people also travel to more exotic destinations; long haul flights are more common & we a more multicultural society. TB in the UK is now on the rise in the UK, although the last school vaccination stopped around 2005 it was the same year that it was identified as rising again; there is a focussed vaccination programme, doctors tend to now give the vaccine to those most at risk, children from outside the UK & from countries which have high levels of TB, & anyone who is travelling abroad to countries at risk, although you have to request it.

Thanks for that comprehensive and unsensational account, it explains a lot that is probably not widely known :thumbsup:

Holiday destinations have become much more varied over the last 30 years. People are constantly searching for more exotic places. I would think that might contribute to an increase in the disease?

Though it’s not unknown for those who travel to contract TB it has very very little in contributing to the significant increases were now seeing. For the normal family going on holiday for two to four weeks, they will have very little chance of contracting TB. Immigrants are now acknowledged as being the major cause of the rising numbers of TB.

I had a barrage of tests done with loads of x-rays when I was a kid in the 50s. My father had shadows on his lungs (pneumonia, France, WWII). Fortunately, neither he, my mother nor I were diagnosed with TB in the end.

When the TB scratch tests were being done at my children's school in the early 80s, my son was found to be immune and didn't need the vaccination. Makes me wonder if I'd had a mild dose and passed on antibodies.

Quite possibly, or without giving appearing to give a lesson on TB & public health, it’s also possible that as the mother (if you had been vaccinated) passed on the antibodies through your vaccination. The problem we have at the moment is the varying types of TB, the strain identified in the 50’s the one we’ll call the UK strain; underwent a massive vaccination programme from 53 onwards, it was recognised in 2000 due to costs & what appeared to be declining episodes of UK TB that vaccination was becoming irrelevant two of the many reasons why the BCG was stopped. What’s emerged is the new types of TB, multidrug resistant & quite recently extremely Drug resistant, the latter one is quite scary & only really been recognised in Europe. These two types of TB are not recognised in British born individuals, but primarily in immigrants, there are loads of studies which support this, many of the reports also point out that unless governments take action we will end up with a pandemic of biblical proportions. UK TB is not a major concern, MDR TB is & gods help us if XDR TB gets a foot hold in this country. Also just for comparison TB to treat cost £6,000, to treat MDR TB costs £60,000 & can take 1 -2 years to stabilise.

I see why you say that but i think you are wrong.

Its got much more to do with the massive influx of immigrants over the last 30 years.

HIV/AIDs is the big problem.

Supressed immunity by the virus and readily infected or reactivated TB.

They've gone hand in hand over the past 30 years.

@Closet & ABG1 Bang on, Exactly right.

For those interested some interesting articles, & their not exactly BNP or EDL propaganda.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/tests-on-immigrants-miss-most-tb-2270834.html

http://www.who.int/tb/en/

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol8no7/01-0482.htm#21 A research project undertaken by Centres for Disease Control.

http://www.tballiance.org/why/tb-threat.php

Well you are one of the 'usual suspects' arguendo ;)

Thanks for that comprehensive and unsensational account, it explains a lot that is probably not widely known :thumbsup:

It’s not very hard to be labelled as a racist on SF by some members, but it couldn’t be further from the truth. I enjoy multicultural UK, but like any culture including our own there are aspects of it which need addressing if people are going to live together. But thanks for your comments BF well appreciated.:wink: