Drystone Walling - Where can I get the stones

Good morning

I am not sure if this is in the right section (sorry if not)

I am after some of the stones that people use to build drystone walls around the countryside.

Does anyone know where I can get some?

I know you can't jsut help yourself from walls, but what if there stones on the floor in a field on a public walk way, can these be collected up or do I need to buy some from somewhere

Thanks

S x

You need to go to a quarry, there used to be one on Houndkirk, but it's closed. A google search will give you the details of quarries in Derbyshire. Please don't think of pinching them from fields, though you could ask the landowners, farmers will occasionally plough up rocks they might want to get rid of.

Thanks I will look that up.

I know you can't go round pinching them, but will ask some farmers if I see any ploughing fields

Cheers

D x

There's a place down the steep hill between Stannington and Loxley, they might be able to sort you out.

Edited by crookesey

We are about to throw a few tonnes in a skip if you are quick. We rebuilt our barn so they are all dressed and a good size for building. We have used some for our own stone wall but want the rest gone ASAP. We have a skip at the moment so you will need to be quick if you want them. Send me a pm if interested and I will give you the phone number. We are on the edge of Dinnington.

I bet a lot of people in our village have stones in their garden as the bed rock is only about 4 foot down.

A farmer from Hoylandswaine built ours - it's superb!

Don't know how good you are but it is an area where you may need an expert. He actually teaches on the subject.

Good morning

I am not sure if this is in the right section (sorry if not)

I am after some of the stones that people use to build drystone walls around the countryside.

Does anyone know where I can get some?

I know you can't jsut help yourself from walls, but what if there stones on the floor in a field on a public walk way, can these be collected up or do I need to buy some from somewhere

Thanks

S x

No! ... don't go nicking stuff that's fallen from drystone walls! I've thought about myself fleetingly! When you think about the miles and miles of drystone walls that makes our countryside so beautiful and the amount of work that's gone into making them, it's criminal on so many levels to go round appropriating bits of them.

I'd love to learn how to build these walls, there's so many styles!

I'd very happily (with landowners permission) help re-build them (FOC).

There's a place called Rivelin Glen Quarry on Rivelin road that may be able to help you ...I think another poster has alluded to this.