A Sheffield internet connection that never crashes?

A usb dongle wont be much good for poker, it'll be worse than TalkTalk.

O2 (or Be) & Sky seem to have the best Adsl, Virgin Media cable is better if you can get it. No connection is crash proof, for that you'd need multiple redundant connections & an expensive router.

I live in sheff and also play poker for a living!!.He will be fine on most to be honest.Tell him i`m only on a 2 meg connection and can still play upto 20 tables with no lag,he will know what i mean.It depends if he is a cash game player or a tournament player as well.If he just plays cash games and disconnects he will just sit out at the table.If he plays tournaments or sit n go`s he might be better getting a dongle back up for the very rare occasion he cannot get back on the landline internet otherwise he just times out and loses his buy in.

Also if it keeps crashing replace all your Filters on your phone line and see what speed you are syncing at with the exchange.Intermittent problems like that are usually down to something faulty in my experience.(not always isp`s fault i mean)

Google and download "inSSIDer.2.0" to check what channels your neighbours routers are on and change accordingly.That cause a lot of problems sometimes if they are using the same channel.Not so bad when just surfing internet but horrendous when needing a constant on connection.

Edited by XXTickerXX

I live in sheff and also play poker for a living!!.He will be fine on most to be honest.Tell him i`m only on a 2 meg connection and can still play upto 20 tables with no lag,he will know what i mean.It depends if he is a cash game player or a tournament player as well.If he just plays cash games and disconnects he will just sit out at the table.If he plays tournaments or sit n go`s he might be better getting a dongle back up for the very rare occasion he cannot get back on the landline internet otherwise he just times out and loses his buy in.

Also if it keeps crashing replace all your Filters on your phone line and see what speed you are syncing at with the exchange.Intermittent problems like that are usually down to something faulty in my experience.(not always isp`s fault i mean)

Google and download "inSSIDer.2.0" to check what channels your neighbours routers are on and change accordingly.That cause a lot of problems sometimes if they are using the same channel.Not so bad when just surfing internet but horrendous when needing a constant on connection.

This sounds very helpfull, thanks. I'll pass it on. It is the sit n go that's causing the worries - a week ago I had no idea what that meant!

its never bloody facebook poker :hihi: if so theres your problem it always crashes and you never know it might not be your internet might be your pc but most of the time it is your internet tbh anyway hope it all goes ok :D

Have a look at a router such as the Draytek 2820.

You can get an ADSL variant that uses the ADSL connection as the primary connection and switches over to 3G automatically should the ADSL go down.

I'm not sure how seamless this is and whether it would prevent your friend from disconnecting from the poker game he's on at that moment, but it should prevent any significant downtime.