Wilf Green Ltd, Halfway

bullerboy thanks for that about martin,

I had read it on here a few years ago I think it was posted by is ex but I cant find it now

The thing I remember about Wilf was he was very opinionated,AJS and Matchless bikes were his favourite and no one knew more about the make than he did he once had a Brough superior in the shop as I went up to have a look at it he shouted down from upstairs keep your sweaty little mitts off that bike....I was a greasy little biker at the time and rarely had the money to afford anything in his shop but he would always help with the little Franny Barnetts or James bikes we could afford to run then. he hatted Jap bikes and call them rice burners and jap crap { how times have changed},he had a large stock of the Villiers parts that our little two strokes used to be fitted with and was very reasonable with his prices of the parts at the time.

Edited by Shogun

Wilf was riding bikes well into old age and he used to ride his Norton International to Newark on a regular basis.He also went to regular bike meetings as well.Wilfs house was up at Kenwood where he kept quite a few collectable cars besides a few bikes,this house as now been made into flats and his beloved garden into car parking area.I last saw Wilf a few weeks before his death having a rare Alfa Romeo Mot tested at Cemetery Rd motors.

Edited by bullerboY

Wilf was riding bikes well into old age and he used to ride his Norton International to Newark on a regular basis.He also went to regular bike meetings as well.Wilfs house was up at Kenwood where he kept quite a few collectable cars besides a few bikes,this house as now been made into flats and his beoled garden into car parking area.I last saw Wilf a few weeks before his death having a rare Alfa Romeo Mot tested at Cemetery Rd motors.

Wilf Green wrote at least 2 books mainly about his life and bikes.

Wilf Green wrote at least 2 books mainly about his life and bikes.

Weren't they called "A bit of yorkshire pudding" and "another bit of yorkshire pudding"or something similar?

of course..they are built to last!! google them or look on facebook. very active club and local branches.great local connection with wilf green.

I had to give a wry smile at 'built to last' as I had a brand new MZ 250 in 1973 and it broke down on me at Rivelin Post office. I had to ring our next door neighbour from the phone box, to get my dad to come out and help and I think it was a gearbox problem and had to go back to the shop.

My dad swore by West German engineering (he must have seen the quality in the war in Egypt), but said East German was rubbish!

However after that, to be fair, it performed ok.

I may even have a photo of it.

Not wanting to start a new thread, but what was the name of the big motorbike shop on Crookes main street back in the late 70's early 80's?

Was it Richardsons? I know they had two branches in Sheffield (Abbydale & Intake) I think.

But I could be wrong of course.