Do you remember Rowlinson Technical in the 60's

I went to Rowlinson from '62 to'67. I bump into mr. Garnett now and then, he's in his 70's but still looks 60. Keith Ibbotson died around 10 years ago and mr Askham last year. I was in Huntsman with Phil Markham, John Barker, Jonathan Ash, Gordon Brindley, Dave Edwards, Philip Wright, David Mason, Mick Lunt, Ken Nettleship( who I still see now and again). I'm Keith Williams if anyone remembers me! and can anyone fill in the rest of the class names?

I don't remember Rowlinson (it probably had not been built when I left for the USA in 1957 ), but I do remember Mr Kay.

He was our Headmaster at Carfield Intermediate in the 1940's.Of all the teachers I had durring my educational years, he was the standout. He treated everyone fairly and with respect (even the troublemakers like me).

On one occasion he gave me four strokes of the cane on my hands, which I have always felt was well deserved.

Mr Kay was indeed a remarkable, gentle man.

I went to Rowlinson Technical in 1966.

The head was Mr Charles Kay (known as Yak)

The deputy head was Cyril Askham, called Toj after the Japanese WWII emperor Tojo (both small, bald and round glasses)

"Fred" Barker taught history.

"Pop" Ellins was my first form master (he taught maths).

"Buzz" was Rutherford.

The Hammer Horror enlish teacher was Stephen Clarke who we called Adam Adament (after the TV show).

French was taught by Spike Godfrey and Mr Shipley.

Art was run by John "Killer" Holmes and Mike Hildred.

Others I remember are:

Alan Benskin - Geography

Mr Holt - Physics

"Harry" Roberts - Chemistry

Keith Ibbotson - PE

Mr Reddish - RE

Mr Copeland - Woodwork

I'll add to the list when memory returns if anyone is interested.

Stayed until 6th form in early 70's. Was friendly with Yvonne Spink if anyone knows her.

Hi Giotto

My best mate in junior school (St Joseph's Walkley) left to start at Rowlinson in '66- you might know him- Andrew O Dea? I've lost touch since, as I went to De La Salle, boy's grammar.

Does anyone remember Mary Glossop, Michael Cohen and David Cliffe?

I'am sure some of you guys below are on one of these fotos.

world wide web dot pes-systems.es/fotos/rowlinson1960

The man with the hat was a maths teacher who took us climbing once a week.

Addy; Bamforth; Bettison; Brown; Danks; Davison; Fisher; Fovargue; Gill; Globe; Goode; Guite; Hall; Hilton; Hopkins; Liversedge; MacDonald; Nixon; Owen, Parkinson; Pearce; Rowlinson; Shaw; Shaw; Simm; Skelton; Waite; Westwood: Wetherall

Regards Paul Simm

Hi, just found this thread. I was at Rowlinson until '66 in Huntsman. Check other threads for memories of Pirates in the gym, technical drawing with 'Diddy-man', buying wagon wheels in the tuck shop and a link to the picture of the orginal entrance to the school taken 3 weeks ago.

Names from that era include 'Holy Joe' who took RI of course.

I was there 63 to 65....nobody has mentioned Mr Gomm, known as Mogg, a chemistry teacher who's experiments always failed. "well take my word for it, it does happen, now write it up"

Our electrical firm sent us there to "day school" to learn "Practice", soldering wires etc.

Where was it exactly?

I was at Rowlinson, left in 64 had some great times there and know all the names you mention, what about Holy Joe, strawballs, remember bouncy, bouncy???????

I went to Rowlinson Technical in 1966.

The head was Mr Charles Kay (known as Yak)

The deputy head was Cyril Askham, called Toj after the Japanese WWII emperor Tojo (both small, bald and round glasses)

"Fred" Barker taught history.

"Pop" Ellins was my first form master (he taught maths).

"Buzz" was Rutherford.

The Hammer Horror enlish teacher was Stephen Clarke who we called Adam Adament (after the TV show).

French was taught by Spike Godfrey and Mr Shipley.

Art was run by John "Killer" Holmes and Mike Hildred.

Others I remember are:

Alan Benskin - Geography

Mr Holt - Physics

"Harry" Roberts - Chemistry

Keith Ibbotson - PE

Mr Reddish - RE

Mr Copeland - Woodwork

I'll add to the list when memory returns if anyone is interested.

Stayed until 6th form in early 70's. Was friendly with Yvonne Spink if anyone knows her.

Hey Giotto, slight correction methinks. Buzz (aka 'Bumble') was Mr Simpson who taught woodwork. So named because he kept beehives. A guy in my year (I attended 1961-66, Hunstman) said 'Yes, Buzz' to his face once in class and got chased round the woodwork lab! Bit of twot my peer - Betts his name, nicknamed 'Bellies' as he was somewhat tubby in a belly-dancer sort of way. Rutherford (who flanked Yak at assembly with Toj) was in fact 'Fluff' ..good maths teacher, taught me all I knew about algebra, simultaneous equations, et al. I dropped down from Mr Fisher's class as I could not get the hang of Calculus - thought he was a Roman Emperor!

Others you may remember - 'Noddy' Johnson (Chemistry), Garrett (Physics, - sang in assembly sometimes, good tenor voice but of course we all took the p*ss, 'Plint' Garnett (history, much respected guy but couldn't pronounce his Rs), Snowdon (French), 'Turnip' Townsend (Metalwork), 'Holy Joe' Hay ..and best of all Janice Winterbottom (Yak's sec) - wow, I can hear those heels clicking now, could she make a testosterone-filled schoolboy's head turn!

---------- Post added 07-08-2013 at 09:50 ----------

---------- Post added 07-08-2013 at 09:53 ----------

Hi, just found this thread. I was at Rowlinson until '66 in Huntsman. Check other threads for memories of Pirates in the gym, technical drawing with 'Diddy-man', buying wagon wheels in the tuck shop and a link to the picture of the orginal entrance to the school taken 3 weeks ago.

Names from that era include 'Holy Joe' who took RI of course.

Hey Paul, I jus replied to a thresd from Giotto ..he had Rutherford down as 'Buzz' ..I have corrected him! Ee, them wert' days, eh lad?

---------- Post added 07-08-2013 at 10:03 ----------

I don't remember Rowlinson (it probably had not been built when I left for the USA in 1957 ), but I do remember Mr Kay.

He was our Headmaster at Carfield Intermediate in the 1940's.Of all the teachers I had during my educational years, he was the standout. He treated everyone fairly and with respect (even the troublemakers like me).

On one occasion he gave me four strokes of the cane on my hands, which I have always felt was well deserved.

Mr Kay was indeed a remarkable, gentle man.

Nice one Antijammer, I too felt Yak's cane ..2 on the hand for smoking on the bus ..someone snitched on me! (I tell the full story on the archive) ..never transgressed again! Yak was strong but a very fair man who commanded respect from all. Really sad he died soon after his retirement soon after I left in 1966. I retired last Sept after 46 yrs with one employer and am still in touch with my good friend, & ex-Rowlie, Paul Cheetham who has done very well for himself but has never changed from the lad I knew then (only fault, he's a Wednesdayite!)

---------- Post added 09-08-2013 at 10:28 ----------

I was at Rowlinson, left in 64 had some great times there and know all the names you mention, what about Holy Joe, strawballs, remember bouncy, bouncy???????

Bouncey bouncey - Janice, yes? Wow!!!!:love:

Edited by Ian Tufft
Duplicated.

Rowlinson Technical School demolished June 2017 RIP