Sheffield landlords who let to Benefit-claiming tenants?

I had that problem when we were looking for a rented house, because a lot of landlords/agencies refused us because both of us did not work full time (at the time I was looking for a full time job, I WAS working 12 hours a week though)

I fortunately found a nice house owned by a lovely couple who didn't mind that I didn't have a job, although I soon got one.

They way the council deals with the applications doesnt help. They take ages, make mistakes, stop payments and all this leaves the claimant in difficulty.

noticed when people apply for private housing people put must accept dss,

now if i ever were out of work, I'm sure it would be a very temporary thing, maybe for a month at the most, as i would do any job that came along

so wouldn't feel the need to put must accept dss ?

obviously there would be exceptions, maybe some people have health problems, but apart from this, quite sure most people could get some sort of employment.

sound like a Tory here which could not be further from the truth

Maybe there single parents with children 2 young with a childminder or maybe they have a criminal record and cant get a job,

Just because it says DSS doesnt mean it is a full payment they might just need a contribution, they could work part time so couldnt afford full rent

noticed when people apply for private housing people put must accept dss,

now if i ever were out of work, I'm sure it would be a very temporary thing, maybe for a month at the most, as i would do any job that came along

so wouldn't feel the need to put must accept dss ?

obviously there would be exceptions, maybe some people have health problems, but apart from this, quite sure most people could get some sort of employment.

sound like a Tory here which could not be further from the truth

Ummm, probably because they are claiming benefits? In which case there is not much point in expressing an interest in renting a place off a landlord who will not accept claimants?

Isn't that obvious? :huh:

sometimes people can be on low incomes (but still working) and recieve a little housing benefit. when i was a single parent i worked as much as possible but still got some help with rent. not anymore as im living with someone who works full time and i still do part time. so, 'PLANK' your tread seems a little narrow minded..........

its not the landlord them selves , its the insurance comapnies , as DSS people somestimes payment are not always on schedule so insurance companies wont pay up if DSS tenants dont pay up to landlords

conversely quite a few private landlords state "no dss" which does make me wonder whether they're working the fiddle somewhere along the line.

i was on the dss for years 5 to be exact i have a little girl and wud have loved to work while she was a child to provide for her but i couldnt afford nursery bills or childminders. i work now and still cant afford them i rely on family to look after her while i go to work. People see people on the dss as dossers and in some cases its true some people dont want to work but in most its cos they have no choice like me a few years ago. im not ashamed of once been on the dss the little money i got off the dss feed and clothed my daughter and i welcomed it. now i work i cant imagine going back on dss as they dont help enough. i was asking for help to get a job for about 18 months n they told me that i didnt have to go to work until my daughter was older so why did i want to, when i can get paid for doing nothing, i was shocked but the person who said was right.

conversely quite a few private landlords state "no dss" which does make me wonder whether they're working the fiddle somewhere along the line.

As someone renting out flat no we are not on the fiddle.

I have a mortgage with the mortgage company, who must be paid on date X every month. Many mortgage companies state that the property in question cannot be rented to DSS claimants.

Housing benefit can be late. I cannot afford that with my payments. I need to know that who ever rents the property has the means to afford it every month. That is why many landlord agencies do credit checks. I do not have an office the size of Sheffield Homes to chase up late payments and missing rent.

People claiming DSS have the support and advice of various bodies who will help them find a property. Working professionals who have guaranteed income every month and can afford a deposit can look into the private market to find a property to rent.

As someone renting out flat no we are not on the fiddle.

I have a mortgage with the mortgage company, who must be paid on date X every month. Many mortgage companies state that the property in question cannot be rented to DSS claimants.

Housing benefit can be late. I cannot afford that with my payments. I need to know that who ever rents the property has the means to afford it every month. That is why many landlord agencies do credit checks. I do not have an office the size of Sheffield Homes to chase up late payments and missing rent.

People claiming DSS have the support and advice of various bodies who will help them find a property. Working professionals who have guaranteed income every month and can afford a deposit can look into the private market to find a property to rent.

That may be the case but I have actually heard people saying that the reason they wont take DSS is because they'd have to declare the income which they dont want to do.

we made the mistake to renting to dss once ,nightmare, we get a letter from the council rent suspended , month later another letter stating rent reinstated and would be back dated , after about six weeks no rent so i queried where is it ." oh didn't you get a letter we have decieded to withdraw the rent all together " consequently we lost 5 months rent as it takes 2 months to get them out . its nothing to do with declaring income its because the council is so incompetent