Just had a phone call saying my windows on comp has a bad virus, CON??

Just had a phone call from a man who spoke very bad English saying he was from a computer company. He said that the Windows on my computer was badly infected from a very bad virus and they needed to fix it.

This happened to my friend so i knew i thought it was dodgy. When i said i'm not stupid ypu're having me on he hung up! Did 1471 and number withheld.

Watch out Forummers :suspect::nono:

CON!! hang up, don't let them do anything.

Ive had this call a few times now, after the 2nd time, i just said, i havent even got a computer, so what you talking about? They hang up :hihi:

Think similar has been on a number of times.

This is definitely a con. I suppose they told you that in some way they had been informed that your computer had a virus.

I had this idiot on the phone a couple of months back, kept him talking for about 30 minutes. I just could not understand why he got upset when I eventually told him I did not believe what he was telling me.

Or could it have been when I told him I was a Microsoft Certified Engineer that upset him.

This rip off firm has also contacted my mother to inform her that they had information that her computer had a virus. She was a bit unsure but didn't think she should have to worry as she does not have a computer. BTW, she just put the phone receiver on the table and let him rabbit to himself for a bit - very wise!

I had this too, a few months ago now. The lady who claimed to work for a company hired by windows to contact those people with windows on their computers and inform them to follow instructions she was giving to me to prevent my computer from being hacked. She got quite angry when I said I didnt believe she was from a genuine company and I wasnt goint to comply with what she was asking me to do. She even told me I would "end up behind bars" lol. She too hung up on me when I disagreed with her.

I've had this as well...can't believe people apply to have a job ripping people off

Think about it, millions (if not billions) of Windows users, and Microsoft are ringing them all individually at half hour at a time?

Massive con, been on telly like Watchdog etc already. Just put the phone down.

They are allowed to do it, even to people on the telephone preference service because they are not based in the UK.

Rubbish!

Thanks for all the replys glad i didn't turn my computer on!!!

Can't believe there are jobs available like this:mad:

I've had the same call. Played along with them for a while but didn't download anything they asked me to and gave them all wrong answers to their questions. They got quite frustrated right up to the part I said, "I'm only Kidding you and hung up!"

I was off work last week and they rang three times last week! I gave them a different answer each time lol As soon as you say you don't own a computer, they hang up. Sounded like a India call cente though?

This has been happening for a long time now, Yet people still fall for it. It has been in the Star. It has been on the forum, It has been on the news,

A woman at work got caught by this lot lately, did her out of over £200. They were Indian (or sounded it) and claimed to be from Microsoft.