National Childhood Obesity Week - ban the under 5s from McDonalds?

Do you think that can be solved with legislation?

I think legislation could make maccy ds provide food instead of chemicals however that wasn't anything to do with my point. I was just saying that just because going once won't make you fat that doesn't mean it is fine to take a 5 year old to macdonalds-I don't think there is ever an excuse to take a child somewhere that provides unhealthy addictive "food".

It's not McD's as such but the attitude.

Change the way fast food is perceived and you have a chance of removing it's "Cool" image.

Start by banning kid's toys and all advertising or entertainment aimed at kids in any restaurant that serves meals with the total (or greater) recommended daily intake of salt/fat/sugar or whatever else in a single meal anywhere on the menu.

I've not been in to check, but they claim that the food is much healthier than it used to be.

If you're going to target McD's though then what are you planning to do, shut down the entire fast food industry because the food isn't healthy? What next, close cake shops and force everywhere else to only sell healthy food?

I've not been in to check, but they claim that the food is much healthier than it used to be.

If you're going to target McD's though then what are you planning to do, shut down the entire fast food industry because the food isn't healthy? What next, close cake shops and force everywhere else to only sell healthy food?

I think there is a case for stopping them targeting children. The options aren't close everything or do nothing. Maccy Ds provide almost nutrient free meals and aim them at little children there is nothing wrong with legislating against them.

There's something wrong with legislating against any single company, and I suspect your opinion might not accurately represent the facts with regards to the menu.

Like I said, I'm no fan, I wouldn't eat there if it was free, but is this as bad as you are making out

Energy Protein Carbohydrates Fat Fibre Salt

total of which sugars total of which saturated fats

Totals 209kcal 9g 21g 8g 9g 1g 3g 0.5g

Chicken McNuggets® (4 pieces) 170kcal 9g 13g 0g 9g 1g 1g 0.4g

% GDA 11% 15% 7% 0% 15% 6% 6% 13.3%

Carrot Sticks 29kcal 0g 6g 6g 0g 0g 2g 0.1g

% GDA 2% 0% 3% 8% 0% 0% 12% 3.3%

Robinsons Fruit Shoot 10kcal 0g 2g 2g 0g 0g 0g 0.0g

% GDA 1% 0% 1% 3% 0% 0% 0% 0.0%

That's a happy meal with chicken nuggets and a fruit drink. To be honest it doesn't look like it would harm someone eating a balanced diet, it's <30% of their GDA for everything including salt, calories and sugar...

Edited by Cyclone

Make all fast food doors only 1 foot wide and charge double for anyone who touches the sides when entering sideways. The sideways part would allow for people who are trim yet wide.

There's something wrong with legislating against any single company, and I suspect your opinion might not accurately represent the facts with regards to the menu.

Like I said, I'm no fan, I wouldn't eat there if it was free, but is this as bad as you are making out

Energy Protein Carbohydrates Fat Fibre Salt

total of which sugars total of which saturated fats

Chicken McNuggets® (4 pieces) 170kcal 9g 13g 0g 9g 1g 1g 0.4g

% GDA 11% 15% 7% 0% 15% 6% 6% 13.3%

Carrot Sticks 29kcal 0g 6g 6g 0g 0g 2g 0.1g

% GDA 2% 0% 3% 8% 0% 0% 12% 3.3%

Robinsons Fruit Shoot 10kcal 0g 2g 2g 0g 0g 0g 0.0g

% GDA 1% 0% 1% 3% 0% 0% 0% 0.0%

That's a happy meal with chicken nuggets and a fruit drink. To be honest it doesn't look like it would harm someone eating a balanced diet, it's <30% of their GDA for everything including salt, calories and sugar...

I agreed before that one visit won't make you ill the problem is if you go rarely it becomes a special treat and you are conditioning children to think of it as a treat. Fat protein and carbohydrates-pretty nutritionally devoid if you ask me and people don't go to maccy ds to eat carrot sticks! Its also not about a single company its just that the evil golden arches are the most common.

McDonalds should deliver so I can give it to my child more easily at home.

did anyone see the program on the bbc "fast food baby". I think that was the name of it. Proof positive that many people are too thick to have children and a great argument for a nanny state!!

Fat protein and carbohydrates-pretty nutritionally devoid if you ask me

Ermm, what would you eat if not the three main constituents of food? That's the basis of everything you eat, fat, protein and carbs.

Ermm, what would you eat if not the three main constituents of food? That's the basis of everything you eat, fat, protein and carbs.

there are good carbs/proteins/fat and there are bad but we also need vitamins and minerals. You won't get many nutritionists accepting that macdonalds is a nutritious meal!

I bet it's healthier than the stuff a lot of other shops sell.