Are sirens necessary in the early hours

I wish emergency vehicles sirens didnt come on so suddenly; there was an ambulance at Hillsborough corner the other day, when it switched its siren on about 50 peope jumped out of their skin.

Edited by Doingalright

You can say what you like but when you hear them 24 hours a day and several vehicles at one time it gets overbearing. I choose to only say of the ones at night because just a blue light is all that is needed. Emergencies have happened since I can remember but not as often as of late.

Well why don't you register a complaint? I'm sure they'll take on board your entitlement to a good nights sleep when they are racing to attend a life-threatening situation.

I wish emergency vehicles sirens didnt come on so suddenly; there was an ambulance at Hillsborough corner the order day, when it switched its siren on about 50 peope jumped out of their skin.

Well, it's better then 50 people getting knocked down!!!

D'ya reckon they ought to invent a siren that starts quietly and get progressively louder then?!:roll:

Masbrolass/Jillybabes/Doinalright - please tell me this is a wind-up?!

Edited by Darkoak

You can say what you like but when you hear them 24 hours a day and several vehicles at one time it gets overbearing. I choose to only say of the ones at night because just a blue light is all that is needed. Emergencies have happened since I can remember but not as often as of late.

Unlike car horns, sirens can be used at any time of day or night as deemed necessary. To not use sirens when response driving would be extremely dangerous.

The relevant legislation is contained in The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (Part II F 37 and Part IV E 99) & The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) (No.2) Regulations 2005.

D'ya reckon they ought to invent a siren that starts quietly and get progressively louder then?!:roll:

Err, yeah actually, why not? Progresively doesn't have to mean slowly either; my alarm clock starts quieter for about 3 or 4 seconds before going off fully and properly, to avoid the sudden 4 foot leap into the air when it does go off.

Err, yeah actually, why not? Progresively doesn't have to mean slowly either; my alarm clock starts quieter for about 3 or 4 seconds before going off fully and properly, to avoid the sudden 4 foot leap into the air when it does go off.

Varying volume sirens would be very confusing in terms of judging distance. They really wouldn't be a sensible idea.

Varying volume sirens would be very confusing in terms of judging distance. They really wouldn't be a sensible idea.

I dont see the problem in a siren starting softly and then building to full volume. Im not talking a long build up, 2/3 seconds tops.

When you are bang next to an ambulance when it switches its sirens on suddenly and unexpectedly you nearly have a heart attack.

I dont see the problem in a siren starting softly and then building to full volume. Im not talking a long build up, 2/3 seconds tops.

When you are bang next to an ambulance when it switches its sirens on suddenly and unexpectedly you nearly have a heart attack.

Well, even if you did, you wouldn't have to wait long for help!;)

They really wouldn't be a sensible idea.

Sensible ideas aren't often posted on here;).

I dont see the problem in a siren starting softly and then building to full volume.

Which it does, as it approaches then retreats.

Which it does, as it approaches then retreats.

Was that a joke? :|

You arent suppose to use siren/reversing horns or car horns between 11-7, personally i dont mind or am bothered by them as i understand why they are using them, some people will moan about anything though.

i'd go back and read the highway code properly if i were you

"112

The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn

while stationary on the road

when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am

except when another road user poses a danger."

the issue with the use of audible warning devices by emergency vehicles has come around from case law - there has been case law where it was felt that audible warning devices weren't used enough therefore as arse coverage by the crews and the organisations if the blue lights are on so are the sirens ...