Yet another rosey picture painted of Sheffield in the national press.

Sadly this is a fair summary of Sheffeld.

He visited the Castle Market area and found that the stall doing the most business was the one selling drug paraphinalia etc!

That, or perhaps another one, was selling kit the last time I was in the dump we know as castle market.

Quite why the market office let him peddle his gear I don't know.

so who's fault is Sheffield's bad rep?

The market people for allowing him to sell there?

The public who buy his stuff?

The rest of the public because they don't march to the market office and tell the officials they won't shop in castle market until the drug supporting stall is kicked out?

I keep being told Muslims should do more about extremists. How about the general public in Sheff doing something about the drug gear stall or doesn't it apply when it's not a minority who have the bad element?

That, or perhaps another one, was selling kit the last time I was in the dump we know as castle market.

Quite why the market office let him peddle his gear I don't know.

so who's fault is Sheffield's bad rep?

The market people for allowing him to sell there?

The public who buy his stuff?

The rest of the public because they don't march to the market office and tell the officials they won't shop in castle market until the drug supporting stall is kicked out?

I keep being told Muslims should do more about extremists. How about the general public in Sheff doing something about the drug gear stall or doesn't it apply when it's not a minority who have the bad element?

Markets the length & breath of the UK sell this stuff, and quite frankly the stuff about the bong stall in Castle market could have been written about a heck of a lot of places, not just Sheffield.

Sadly this is a fair summary of Sheffeld.

yep i agree with you,

What he says has an element of truth but why has he bothered to say what he has in the first place if it isn't to detract from the city? All he has done is outline some of the trouble faced by the city - namely the high level of unemployment. He hasn't addressed a solution to the problem apart from the fact of investment by Roll Royce and the SKY TV Call Centre - a call centre ... big deal !! What Sheffield needs is permenant meaningful jobs with decent pay. However, since there seems to be a targetted campaign of hate directed towards Sheffield from the politicians, propagated by the popular media, there seems little hope for the city.

Yes i know Sheffield has its problems and bad areas but so does every other part of this country! I was furious when i saw the article in todays People by Mr Nigel Nelson about how this city is basically a dive full of druggies and no hopers and is in a worse state than depicted in The Full Monty 15 years ago.

He visited the Castle Market area and found that the stall doing the most business was the one selling drug paraphinalia etc! Its bloody typical how Sheffield gets this crap everytime, we all should just kill ourselves if this article is anything to go by...we're all doomed in this city...doomed :rant:

Seems pretty accurate to me.

I dont see why your getting into a lather about it.

It's true.. I much preferred the article where the journo spoke about all the promise that Sheffield had.. And the amount of govt funding and eu funding coming it's way, and that it's crime rate for a major city was relatively low etc

But that article was shot to pieces for not being accurate enough...

Hate the style of writing, but still realise that there are some truisms

I have just sent him this email. Lets see if I get any kind of response.

Hi Nigel,

I wonder if you would like to visit Sheffield again as my guest, and see possibly another side of it your article does not depict.

First I'd like to show you the place I work. Not just a job, a great family run business going back 50 years. I ended up here after being made redundant from a Steel Stockholders and had previously been in Engineering - the place I started out at 16 no longer exists as a factory but is now a block of flats. Despite this, I have never been out of work. Nor for that matter has my wife, and we like to think we are good role models for our children.

From where I work we could then go to my home at the other side of the city, but taking in a few other places along the way, including my take on the town centre, and two hospital's that have changed my life drastically over the last few years - the Sheffield Children's Hospital and Weston Park hospital. So much so I've set out to raise one of them some funds over the next 12 months by abstaining from all forms of Alcohol. http://www.nobeerforayear.co.uk - I don't smoke or do drugs, so didn't really have much else to abstain from.

If you take me up on this offer, we will also pass through some other area's you will no doubt see as downtrodden such as the more ethnic area's of Darnall and Attercliffe, but we can take a closer look at those too, just so you know you are getting a full and proper picture - Sheffield is a massive city and there is work across the whole area on improvements, some of us are proud of our city and articles like yours whilst factual does not do a great deal to help improve the image of our city, when indeed we have many many great things going for us. It is not exactly a balanced article in that respect.

You say that young adults don't have much of a chance when it comes to getting a job. I tell you that attitude is everything. My oldest daughter is 8. In ten years time if she is not in full time education, I can tell you now she will be working or contributing to society. Just as my parents could have boasted the same of me at that age, that despite me being born into a family of 7 Children on one of the most notorious and roughest estates in the country at the time, the Manor Estate. Each one of us has gone on to make something of our lives. It's not a city that makes a slacker, it's parents and attitudes, and every city has it's fair share of poor parents and poor attitudes.

Thanks for reading.

If you're going to read the People then what can you expect. A muppets paper. He is writing to engage his target audience. I wouldn't even call it a paper, more of a comic for adults. If you want proper journalism, buy a better paper.

As most people see media studies as the soft option chosen by the lesser academic students going to university, it stands to reason that the standard of opinions expressed in today's media type would follow suit.

Allot of naive people on these forums. I have not read the article, but by the sounds of the short summery by the op, it is spot on.

As most people see media studies as the soft option chosen by the lesser academic students going to university, it stands to reason that the standard of opinions expressed in today's media type would follow suit.
Very true!...............and that's how you end up with with the further education for all farce expanded by the Labour government!

Lol....I thought the article was quite funny....what an idiot that Nigel is.