Yet another rosey picture painted of Sheffield in the national press.

Yes i know Sheffield has its problems and bad areas but so does every other part of this country! I was furious when i saw the article in todays People by Mr Nigel Nelson about how this city is basically a dive full of druggies and no hopers and is in a worse state than depicted in The Full Monty 15 years ago.

He visited the Castle Market area and found that the stall doing the most business was the one selling drug paraphinalia etc! Its bloody typical how Sheffield gets this crap everytime, we all should just kill ourselves if this article is anything to go by...we're all doomed in this city...doomed :rant:

Saw that myself and thought it was the worse bit of journalism I've had the misfortune to read in some time with clear contradictions that beggar belief.

Here's the link to the piece if you can bear to read such crap. http://www.people.co.uk/news/politics/2011/07/03/sheffield-unemployment-takes-the-city-back-to-the-full-monty-102039-23243036/

Edited by six45ive

Unfortunately, the first port of call for most journalists writing about Sheffield is this forum so given the whinging, whining pessimists who are always complaining about the city it's hardly surprising we get a bad press.

Unfortunately, the first port of call for most journalists writing about Sheffield is this forum so given the whinging, whining pessimists who are always complaining about the city it's hardly surprising we get a bad press.

Yes this forum is like a larder to the press who look for evidence of stereotypical northerners.I think a lot of posters are trawling for potential news items.Then you do get aload of saddos bemoaning the realignment of a bus stop,or someone cutting the lawns in a notherly direction ,and of course the frequent fly-by club who spot ufos,choppers on show and other large airborne objects.

It's just tomorows chip papers!

Move on!

It's just tomorows chip papers!

Move on!

that it may be but the article spoke a lot of truth, sheffield is doomed i say doomed:hihi:

I thought it was spot on. Good job he didnt stay for the week. I dont like reading books.

Saw that myself and thought it was the worse bit of journalism I've had the misfortune to read in some time with clear contradictions that beggar belief.

Half of the article seemed to be factoids that the journalist had cribbed from Wikipedia or the ONS to pad the article and the other half was written the emphasise the conclusion the journo already had. For example I know that Castle Market is run down now but pretending the only store in there doing business was a drug paraphernalia store was total cobblers.

Yes this forum is like a larder to the press who look for evidence of stereotypical northerners.I think a lot of posters are trawling for potential news items.Then you do get aload of saddos bemoaning the realignment of a bus stop,or someone cutting the lawns in a notherly direction ,and of course the frequent fly-by club who spot ufos,choppers on show and other large airborne objects.

Is this true? do you know this for certain? what makes you say this?

Bet it doesn't mention Hallam being one of the most affluent areas outside London...

Well, if you feel strongly about the article, his email address is at the end, why not set him straight? A few hundred (or thousand?) emails in his box might give him food for thought?

Well, if you feel strongly about the article, his email address is at the end, why not set him straight? A few hundred (or thousand?) emails in his box might give him food for thought?

Yes i've taken his email address and he'll be hearing from me...as soon as i've been to market and bought a bong!! :hihi: