Heeley Green, picture house.

As a kid, nobody watch TV programs, we all went to the pictures and we had Honest and upright, two fisted, fast shooting, bashful thank you mam, heroes as our role models.

No one wanted to be the baddy and I think a little of that stuck with us as we grew up ..

For years now in the media to be a hero you must have just come out of goal (jail) and be a ruthless killer with a total disregard for authority and ordinary peoples lives and property..

And we wonder where they get it from....? :rant:

You're right.

We didn't go to church but we went to the pictures, and got a lot of our life values there. Good guys were heroes , got the girl, and bad guys bit the dust. America was a dream come true.

May have been Hollywood propaganda, but look at what's replaced it.

You're right.

We didn't go to church but we went to the pictures, and got a lot of our life values there. Good guys were heroes , got the girl, and bad guys bit the dust. America was a dream come true.

May have been Hollywood propaganda, but look at what's replaced it.

On a brighter note, West Street isn't as far to travel to as Dodge City. :hihi:

On a brighter note, West Street isn't as far to travel to as Dodge City. :hihi:

As someone once said "It's not how far you get, it's how you get there that counts" ......:nod:

Edited by grinder

As kids we used to rummage through the bins at the back of the picture house, up a small lane.

Some of the "treasures" we found were sections of film that had been thrown away probably when they were being repaired. Hold them up to the light and you could see your hero. I once found an old glass slide that had been used for years as an intermiission ad at the Heeley Green. It was a picture of a flower garden advertising funeral services, now cracked, which everybody recognized. I couldn't wait to see whether it would appear on the screen again next time or if it was indeed a one off special.

Forgot what I traded it for though, probably sweet coupons.

Oh yes, what a boar that used to be, The adverts.

Now we get em all the time on the telly, but waiting for the big picture to start back then I used to feel trapped and they seemed to go on forever and ever ..:(

Oh yes, what a boar that used to be, The adverts.

Now we get em all the time on the telly, but waiting for the big picture to start back then I used to feel trapped and they seemed to go on forever and ever ..:(

At the Carleton it was great, they always played the top ten of the day.

For some of us it was the first time we'd heard them without that noisy background crackle on Radio Luxemberg.

That must have been after I'd left the Arbourthorne, I'd have paid me tanner just for that ...

I remember those singalongs with the bouncing ball ....

my Grandma Warburton lived at about number 2 Gleadless Road, a church was behind her and a pub to the side across the road and you had a little bridge and the River Don ran under it, and a over bridge for the railroad was a little bit down further going toward Heeley Bottom, we lived on Tillitsone Road, forgot how to spell it, im 60 now and was 5 when i lived there lol

Hello Miami, how do you like living in Dade county, we lived in Broward ( Margate ) untril hurricane Wilma re -arranged the house for 10 years came over from 11 years in Spain, we now live in Clay county near Jacksonville.

those images don't work for me, all I get is a graphic for angelfire.com

Same here, I can't get them to work either....

Edited by grinder

Don't think anyone on here could have lived closer to the `green than we did, we lived at the top of Sturge Street and from our back door we looked a t the side of the green.

Every Monday and Thursday my mom used to take me because that was when the pictures changed. First film Quo Vadis!