Heeley Green, picture house.

Fond memories of the Heeley Green. As a kid used to go twice a week with Grandma or an aunt and a bag of toffees and remember hoping the film would never end so's I didn't have to go home to our cold little house.

You could sit in a box for the same price as upstairs, but not many did because you were off to the side.

I've collected most of the old films I saw there, the Heeley Palace and the Carleton, and now if I turn down the lights I can re-live the experience all over again on my big screen TV. Just need the red exit signs to make it complete, LOL

Later us kids from Heeley Bank School would all go, Janet Warburton, Janet Dungworth, Silvia Hough, Janet Beck, Maureen (Little Mo) Reaney, Pat Brownhill. Lots of Warburtons, Whittakers around Heeley and I think they were all related.

Those, as they say, were the days!

Wasn't the Carleton on the Arbourthorne, used to live up there in the prefabs till 52 then we moved down Heeley, and I went to Heeley Bank as well...:wave:

Thanks for that Sharrovian......:thumbsup:

Edited by grinder

my Grandma Warburton lived at about number 2 Gleadless Road, a church was behind her and a pub to the side across the road and you had a little bridge and the River Don ran under it, and a over bridge for the railroad was a little bit down further going toward Heeley Bottom, we lived on Tillitsone Road, forgot how to spell it, im 60 now and was 5 when i lived there lol

Oh i forgot to mention the school was called Anns Road School that i went to.

my Grandma Warburton lived at about number 2 Gleadless Road, a church was behind her and a pub to the side across the road and you had a little bridge and the River Don ran under it, and a over bridge for the railroad was a little bit down further going toward Heeley Bottom, we lived on Tillitsone Road, forgot how to spell it, im 60 now and was 5 when i lived there lol

Hi Miami.

It's not the Don it's the Sheaf down Heeley and it's Tillotson road..

It could be any of two bridges, you being in America I don't know what you would call a "Little bridge" :hihi:

There's a road bridge on London road and a foot bridge on Skellys walk, Sheaf bank...

Edited by grinder

Oh i forgot to mention the school was called Anns Road School that i went to.

Yeah, went Anns Road too, Miss Haird was the Head and she and her sister Little Miss Haird ran it, when I was there. Still got the scar from a wild cricket bat swing in the schoolyard.

We lived in Carter Place, and in Toronto now.

Wasn't the Carleton on the Arbourthorne, used to live up there in the prefabs till 52 then we moved down Heeley, and I went to Heeley Bank as well.

It certainly was, and when we moved to the Arbourthorn (Hartopp Road) it was an option. About the same distance to the 'green as I recall.

Always played B pictures though, film noir stuff, You had to go dahn't green (Palace, Collie, Abbeydale) to see a "big" picture.

Had an aunt that lived on Hartopp Road, her name was Aunt Dolly she had a daughter names Glynis, i lived just off Newfiled Green Road, on the Gleadless Valley across from the Shops, used to work at the Chip Shop when i was about 16.

Had an aunt that lived on Hartopp Road, her name was Aunt Dolly she had a daughter names Glynis, i lived just off Newfiled Green Road, on the Gleadless Valley across from the Shops, used to work at the Chip Shop when i was about 16.

You're a lot younger than me then. I was an electrician when they were building Gleadless Valley over our childhood playground (Far Lees Woods, Rollin Woods) My uncle Ken Morris moved there. I left Hartopp in 1960 for Canada. Derek Warburton lived around the corner on Haliburton Road.

my dad was an electrician, for Firth Vickers Steel co., I left for the USA when i was 22 in 1973, the Gleadless Valley has really changed now its not that safe of a place to live, i used to visit and every year got my rental car broken into,

I'm afraid it's not just the Gleadless Valley, it's a different world now,with different values, and different problems..

No body on our street had their car damaged when I was a kid, because no one on our street had one.....:D

my dad was an electrician, for Firth Vickers Steel co., I left for the USA when i was 22 in 1973, the Gleadless Valley has really changed now its not that safe of a place to live, i used to visit and every year got my rental car broken into,

Yes, most of the Police are engaged in filming Police Stop Flash Camera Action Interceptors TV programmes these days.

As a kid, nobody watch TV programs, we all went to the pictures and we had Honest and upright, two fisted, fast shooting, bashful thank you mam, heroes as our role models.

No one wanted to be the baddy and I think a little of that stuck with us as we grew up ..

For years now in the media to be a hero you must have just come out of goal (jail) and be a ruthless killer with a total disregard for authority and ordinary peoples lives and property..

And we wonder where they get it from....? :rant:

Edited by grinder