Original shops on Hartleybrook Road

I lived on Shirehall Rd. & was 7 yrs old when the war started. I remember a chemist, news agent, tobacconist & sweets,a fish & chip shop. I had been to the shops with Mam & collected my comics, my little dog Patch was with us, he ran into the road & was killed by a lorry.

There were 12 shops there during the war and I wondered if anyone could name them for me?

thank you for letting me know of the shops in 1942, I could not remember them all.

My mother was registered during the war with Rodgers the butchers and I can remember queueing in the Meadow Dairy so must have been registered with them.

I know we also went to shop at Gillotts, they had a daughter about my age Anita, the youngest of their daughters.

We used to go to Pillings and he made his own medicines, I can recall something I think called Black Magic and it definately tasted like a medicine that should do you good if smell was anything to go by.

I cannot recall the name of Chappells I can only recall Queenies that we went to on a Saturday whilst my children were small.

After sweet rationing was finished my mother took me to what was the post office and I was baffled with the sweets on offer, I chose toffee why I do not know it is something that is not my favourite. It was probably the largest for the money.

Thanks again for helping my memory, I have been reading a book about Attercliffe and the woman who wrote it named so many places she either has a wonderful memory or she had a lot of help and it set me off trying to get my brain in gear.

I remember davies shop in the 80s when i was a kid there was a butchers area at the back.I also remember the wool shop as we called it which was next to where brook bakery is ,i remember it all being original inside.I also remember at the back of shillitoes shop was the entrance for the hairdressers sure it was called something like lindas salon. When my brother was born there were some scales in the chemist my mum would take him to be weighed there.

...I know we also went to shop at Gillotts, they had a daughter about my age Anita, the youngest of their daughters...
The births index shows that Anita K. Gillott was born in Sheffield in 1939, and the 1973 Kelly's Directory shows "Anita Kay, ladies' hairdresser" at No 119 - just as her mum had been listed in the 1942 directory. The marriages index shows that an Anita K. Gillott married a Ray Fox in Sheffield in 1961, and the 2004 electoral shows an Anita K. Fox still in Sheffield.

Mr Pilling the Chemist.

Now, I remember from the 1980s a chain of chemists called Firth and Pilling. Was he the Pilling?

Dr Herbert Pilling was a pathologist did all autopsys on deaths publicated in the star newspaper good reading for some!:hihi:

Dr Herbert Pilling, formerly a GP at Firth Park, was actually the Sheffield coroner rather than being a pathologist. I don't know if he was related to the Hartley Brook Road chemist John Pilling. An obituary of Herbert Pilling can be found here. His son was in my class at King Ted's, and in 1965 I went to a lecture given by Dr Pilling at the school entitled "Sudden Death". I've never been the same since.... :hihi: