Original shops on Hartleybrook Road

I can go back to 1936 they were there when i was born, all the estate dates from early 30s

I'm doing a study of particular areas in Sheffield and was wondering How long have the shops been on Hartley Brook road, in Particular the Post Office.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

In early 40's it was Listers P.O. I remember queuing for fireworks there in 1945 and the crush was such that the window got broke.

To the right was Pillings the chemists and to the left was Shentalls the grocers.

I lived at 157 Hartley Brook Rd and we moved from there in 1950.

A little bit of info that may or may not be of interest. The section of the brook (which I have always known as Hartley brook) that runs under the road just below the junction of Deerlands Avenue and Barnsley Road, was originally called Sheffield Lane dyke. That part of Barnsley Road was originally called Sheffield Lane.

A little bit of info that may or may not be of interest. The section of the brook (which I have always known as Hartley brook) that runs under the road just below the junction of Deerlands Avenue and Barnsley Road, was originally called Sheffield Lane dyke. That part of Barnsley Road was originally called Sheffield Lane.

And that's where the name Sheffield Lane Top comes from just up the road.

In early 40's it was Listers P.O. I remember queuing for fireworks there in 1945 and the crush was such that the window got broke.

To the right was Pillings the chemists and to the left was Shentalls the grocers.

I lived at 157 Hartley Brook Rd and we moved from there in 1950.

So the post office has been there since the 40's?

If you go on picture sheffield theres some pics of the shops from the 1950s.

So the post office has been there since the 40's?
The 1942 Kelly's Directory shows "Wilfred Lister, newsagent and sub-postmaster" at 128 Hartley Brook Road. By 1968 "A. & B. Shaw" had the business, and in 1973 "C.V. Gough".

The 1942 Kelly's Directory shows "Wilfred Lister, newsagent and sub-postmaster" at 128 Hartley Brook Road. By 1968 "A. & B. Shaw" had the business, and in 1973 "C.V. Gough".

I worked at the post office when Goughs had it as a paper boy. The estate was built in the 30`s and as far as i know (mum told me) the post office has always been there

Can you send me the link to this please?

There were 12 shops there during the war and I wondered if anyone could name them for me?

I know for sure Pedro that there was a large co-op with a co-op butchers next door, also there was Shillitoes who sold all sorts of household goods like Joe Gould on Bellhouse Road,I seem to remember a Maypole and a Styans Bakery just like Firth Park.

Where Shillitos is now it used to be Gillotts, a family run business, that eventually had a hairdressers above it. Cannot remember if it was there during the war but it was afterwards and we were able to buy ice cream from there, the only alternative before that was to walk into Ecclesfield and buy from Hulley's factory. I think the owner of Gillotts was Sam and he had a daughter called Anita who was his youngest daughter.

---------- Post added 04-02-2013 at 18:17 ----------

According to 1954 Kelly's Directory shops were:-

120 Brightside & Carbrook Co-op

122 Albert Vettese - Fried fish dealer

124 James Davies - grocer

126 John Pilling - chemists

128 Wilfred Lister - newsagent & post office

130 J Shentall Ltd - grocers

115 Brightside & Carbrook Co-op

117 R C Hopkinson - grocers

119 Samuel Gillott - fruiterer

121 Brightside & Carbrook Co-op

123 Percy Rodgers - butcher

125 Meadow Dairy Co Ltd - grocers.

Amazing how many grocers there were!

Do you know if these were the ones during the war, it is annoying me I cannot remember who they were, I must have know because I would have had to queue there for what seemed like a long time in my young years. I can only remember one butchers but there were a few grocers, gave my grandaughter my last ration book and the name are fading so hard to read.

---------- Post added 04-02-2013 at 18:32 ----------

Where Shillitos is now it used to be Gillotts, a family run business, that eventually had a hairdressers above it. Cannot remember if it was there during the war but it was afterwards and we were able to buy ice cream from there, the only alternative before that was to walk into Ecclesfield and buy from Hulley's factory. I think the owner of Gillotts was Sam and he had a daughter called Anita who was his youngest daughter.

---------- Post added 04-02-2013 at 18:17 ----------

Do you know if these were the ones during the war, it is annoying me I cannot remember who they were, I must have know because I would have had to queue there for what seemed like a long time in my young years. I can only remember one butchers but there were a few grocers, gave my grandaughter my last ration book and the name are fading so hard to read.

Had a look at the shops and the Co Op at 121 could have been a drapery shop next to the butchers and then a grocery shop that I know during the war my mother was registered with, I can remember when we bought eggs they were put on a wooden home made stand with a light underneath that checked if they were old and bad, so the customer could not bring them back, no sell by dates in that time, which was one of my mother's quote when she was still using old food. My reply to her was we had no fridge and she shopped every day and we ate it that day. Maybe someone else can remember for me what all the othershops sold.

There were 12 shops there during the war and I wondered if anyone could name them for me?
Here is a scan rom the 1942 Kelly's Directory..:)
Can you send me the link to this please?
Hi urban - I hadn't seen your post or I'd have replied earlier. Most of the directories are not available online but I have some of the books.