Original shops on Hartleybrook Road

The bookies was co op butchers and next door was queenies chippy then next door was davies grocers.Across the road where the chemist is was pillings chemist and next to that goughs newsagents/post office.Next to the post office was fletchers bakery.Across the rd was buywise general store what is now the carpet shop and diy shop.The bakery was rogers bakery and the hairdressers was co op drapery.Shillitoes was gilletts general store and sunnys was two shops the middle one was bates wine shop and the end the co op.This is as far back as the person who told me can remember. :)

Think you`re just about spot on there dee. I`ve asked my mum who was born on the estate and that`s just about what she said. Who was this person you asked? My mum might know them. Pm me if you like

Peter

hello pedro1,

the shop where the bookies is now was a co-op butchers and after that in 1984 it was a fruit and veg shop

we leased the shop in 1984 !

deecee

I can`t remember the bookies being a fruit and veg. The shop that is now a second hand shop next to the GT used to be a fruit and veg. I had my first saturday job there after leaving my paper round in the newsagents next door.

Talking of newspaper rounds, did anyone have one and how much were they paid? I worked 7 days a week and my star round at night was about 70 papers. I got £5 a week

Does anyone know where Hartley Brook cottages were,

I have a painting of them c1915.

The only cottages i know of used to be at the bottom of sicey avenue opposite the shiregreen hotel.

Originally posted by pedro1

I can`t remember the bookies being a fruit and veg. The shop that is now a second hand shop next to the GT used to be a fruit and veg. I had my first saturday job there after leaving my paper round in the newsagents next door.

Talking of newspaper rounds, did anyone have one and how much were they paid? I worked 7 days a week and my star round at night was about 70 papers. I got £5 a week

we had the old co-op butchers shop,next door to Queenies chipshop (mr & mrs Fuscoe) .

We leased it off the Brightside & Carbrook Co-op

Originally posted by deecee

we had the old co-op butchers shop,next door to Queenies chipshop (mr & mrs Fuscoe) .

We leased it off the Brightside & Carbrook Co-op

My partner knew the young girl who lived above the butchers years ago.

Originally posted by pedro1

The only cottages i know of used to be at the bottom of sicey avenue opposite the shiregreen hotel.

Yes thats right pedro1 but there was also some cottages where the sicey pub car park now is.:)

According to 1954 Kelly's Directory shops were:-

120 Brightside & Carbrook Co-op

122 Albert Vettese - Fried fish dealer

124 James Davies - grocer

126 John Pilling - chemists

128 Wilfred Lister - newsagent & post office

130 J Shentall Ltd - grocers

115 Brightside & Carbrook Co-op

117 R C Hopkinson - grocers

119 Samuel Gillott - fruiterer

121 Brightside & Carbrook Co-op

123 Percy Rodgers - butcher

125 Meadow Dairy Co Ltd - grocers.

Amazing how many grocers there were!

Originally posted by extaxman

126 John Pilling - chemists

Mr Pilling the Chemist.

Now, I remember from the 1980s a chain of chemists called Firth and Pilling. Was he the Pilling?

I'm doing a study of particular areas in Sheffield and was wondering How long have the shops been on Hartley Brook road, in Particular the Post Office.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks