HS2 train stop in Sheffield

Aren't there already some city-centre train tunnels? I do recall, some decades ago, being on a train that left from Midland, went underground, popped-up at/near Victoria, then went onwards to wherever.

It's here, on the link you you provided!where you can see the cars or trucks.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Nunnery+Square&hl=en&ll=53.38553,-1.441741&spn=0.009266,0.0212&t=h&z=16

And how do the trains get there without:

a) conflicting with existing lines

b) without destroying hundreds of homes and factories?

On top of that, how do you then carry on going north to Leeds from the Nunnery Square site?

Aren't there already some city-centre train tunnels? I do recall, some decades ago, being on a train that left from Midland, went underground, popped-up at/near Victoria, then went onwards to wherever.

No train has ever been able to do that. All movements from the current station to the old Victoria station require a reversal on the Lincoln line which are outside the tunnels.

The trains that used to go to Huddersfield/Penistone used to do that until the late 80s - when the line between Penistone and Barnsley was reopened.

Edited by damo

And how do the trains get there without:

a) conflicting with existing lines

b) without destroying hundreds of homes and factories?

There are no factories there or houses, just a car park! i'm not too sure about the lines, i,m not a rail expert, but if a line is built no matter where it is they are gonna have to reconfigure the lines anyway. It's the best site as far as I can see, unless you have a better site in mind, with better transport links?

On top of that, how do you then carry on going north to Leeds from the Nunnery Square site?

Simple: don't go there. Why not onwards from Sheffield via Woodhead Tunnel to Manchester Victoria instead?

There are no factories there or houses, just a car park! i'm not too sure about the lines, i,m not a rail expert, but if a line is built no matter where it is they are gonna have to reconfigure the lines anyway. It's the best site as far as I can see, unless you have a better site in mind, with better transport links?

Indeed, but the railway has to get there somehow, doesnt it? And it cant use existing lines, they are already at maximum capacity in most cases and in the rest, the line quality is substandard.

Simple: don't go there. Why not onwards from Sheffield via Woodhead Tunnel to Manchester Victoria instead?

That is hardly going to happen given the nature of who now owns Woodhead Tunnel.

Indeed, but the railway has to get there somehow, doesnt it? And it cant use existing lines, they are already at maximum capacity in most cases and in the rest, the line quality is substandard.

Could try and upgrade the track and in the mean time re-route the services that usually go down there for a period.As I said i'm not an expert but it seems the best and most obvious site with the transport links already in place.

Because the (current) plan is to build two branches from Birmingham, one going direct to Manchester, the other through the east midlands and south yorkshire up to Leeds.

Damo - I believe the Woodhead tunnel route is still protected for future rail usage. The tunnels currently being used by the National Grid could be bypassed / bought back. I've got a feeling they don't actually own them either, they just have a concession to use them as they see fit until told otherwise. That said, not even the newest of the tunnels would be large enough for HS2.

Because a HS2 line already goes from Birmingham to Manchester. Don't forget that this line is to serve the Sheffield region as opposed to just Sheffield and the trains, and therefore the stations, will be on a scale not seen in this region before (probably 3 or 4 times longer than the present Midland Station).

The only site I can think of that is large enough and geographically in the right location to interface with the region as opposed to just Sheffield is the Tinsley site.

Because a HS2 line already goes from Birmingham to Manchester. Don't forget that this line is to serve the Sheffield region as opposed to just Sheffield and the trains, and therefore the stations, will be on a scale not seen in this region before (probably 3 or 4 times longer than the present Midland Station).

The only site I can think of that is large enough and geographically in the right location to interface with the region as opposed to just Sheffield is the Tinsley site.

Sorry but no, The Nunnery Square site is a much better location.

Because a HS2 line already goes from Birmingham to Manchester.

No, so far it doesn't even exist.

By going onwards from Sheffield via Woodhead Tunnel to Manchester Victoria, no Birmingham-Manchester branch would be needed at all.