HS2 train stop in Sheffield

Who are these Think Tanks, what makes their opinions better than anyone elses, what is their make-up and funding and why are there so many of them?

Good question! I think they're a bit like independent academic researchers, so political parties like to use their results to support their policies. Only a few issues with that:

1. Not academic: their research doesn't go through the normal scholarly scrutiny by peers: instead, they just come up with stuff and publish it.
  2. Not independent: they need private funding sources, which often have a serious political bias. Many think tanks, as a result, are secretive about who funds them.

Frankly, there's good reason to doubt that their opinions are to be trusted.

Not sure if there's any truth to it but I heard that the Sitwell Arms @ Renishaw has been served with a compulsory purchase order :-(

Not sure if there's any truth to it but I heard that the Sitwell Arms @ Renishaw has been served with a compulsory purchase order :-(

This is not possible as the Acts needed in parliament have not been signed- that means at least another year.

There is a process were the value of properties is protected when large projects are planned- a very common practice affecting 10s of thousands of houses affected by road building.

The report from the right wing think tank emphasises the need for stronger regional and east-west links in the North so that HS2 will improve the lot of other conurbations.

Edited by Annie Bynnol
link

Do we really have to ressurect this discussion? There's already lots of questions as to whether itll even happen. Personally I dont think it will as the need for travel is lessened all the time with technology serving as its replacement.

Britains geography does not lend itself well to a HS line as large cities are nowhere near as far apart as they are in other countries. The only country that has a large HS network with the same issues regarding city proximity is Japan but their country is far more linear so its easy to get a single line. I would be far more in favour of upgrading the line from York to Leeds, Leeds to Sheffield and then upgrading the Midland mainline as the main route for the east into london. The west is a far messier story as Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester and Glasgow are all termini stations, not that HS2 will improve that.

Do we really have to ressurect this discussion? There's already lots of questions as to whether itll even happen. Personally I dont think it will as the need for travel is lessened all the time with technology serving as its replacement.

Britains geography does not lend itself well to a HS line as large cities are nowhere near as far apart as they are in other countries. The only country that has a large HS network with the same issues regarding city proximity is Japan but their country is far more linear so its easy to get a single line. I would be far more in favour of upgrading the line from York to Leeds, Leeds to Sheffield and then upgrading the Midland mainline as the main route for the east into london. The west is a far messier story as Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester and Glasgow are all termini stations, not that HS2 will improve that.

None of the Birmingham or Manchester stations are terminial stations.

Neither Glasgow or Liverpool are part of HS2 and even then most have through platforms.

To increase the capacity of the MML would require more parallel track/ lengthened platforms, track straightening of the tortuous routes south of Leicester and north of Sheffield, another London terminus, a new Sheffield station with new tunnels/cuttings at both ends, new tunnels at Bradway, Clay Cross etc, a new junction and station at Derby, possible closure of stations at peak times and the destruction of thousands of homes on the approach to London.

Costing has been done many times which show that massive investment in MML or WCML would provide little benefit

Guest busdriver1
None of the Birmingham or Manchester stations are terminial stations.

Neither Glasgow or Liverpool are part of HS2 and even then most have through platforms.

To increase the capacity of the MML would require more parallel track/ lengthened platforms, track straightening of the tortuous routes south of Leicester and north of Sheffield, another London terminus, a new Sheffield station with new tunnels/cuttings at both ends, new tunnels at Bradway, Clay Cross etc, a new junction and station at Derby, possible closure of stations at peak times and the destruction of thousands of homes on the approach to London.

Costing has been done many times which show that massive investment in MML or WCML would provide little benefit

Yes but they are FACTS and as such are of no interest to the majority of people on this thread.

Good question! I think they're a bit like independent academic researchers, so political parties like to use their results to support their policies. Only a few issues with that:

1. Not academic: their research doesn't go through the normal scholarly scrutiny by peers: instead, they just come up with stuff and publish it.
  2. Not independent: they need private funding sources, which often have a serious political bias. Many think tanks, as a result, are secretive about who funds them.

Frankly, there's good reason to doubt that their opinions are to be trusted.

I had the same thoughts as you on this. I had considered the private funding 'issue' :hihi:

It's all pie in the sky of course, but I thought it was interesting that (unless I've missed it) when he talks about better links between Yorkshire and Manchester that Sheffield wasn't even mentioned.

It's all pie in the sky of course, but I thought it was interesting that (unless I've missed it) when he talks about better links between Yorkshire and Manchester that Sheffield wasn't even mentioned.

Thats because Leeds is the most important city in Yorkshire, that is the fact of the matter.