HS2 train stop in Sheffield

The single track on the viaduct is still there. The steelworks in Stocksbridge still gets a daily train.

And at this time of year it also gets a daily visit by the Rail Head Treatment Train to clear away leaf mulch. The reversal point from the mainline is about half way towards Darnall.

I am just thinking what a profound impact Meadowhall has had on the city centre. Its a fact it exists and am not debating the sgoyld it have been built or not angle.

I am keen to know if people would prefer the new HS2 station at Tinsley, which is realy a bit far from the city centre shops to benefit (lots of theads have veen aboyt the state of the city centre) or whether the Councils suggestion to use the old Victoria station near the Wicker was better.

Did an easy poll

The reason it can't be in Sheffield city centre is:

1) the hills

2) residential south Sheffield

Both these are in the way and would require enormous demolition or tunnelling to get a HS line to the centre.

Therefore the options are - Sheffield East or no stop for Sheffield.

What does need to happen though is a good transport link installed between Sheffield East and Sheffield centre (and maybe a loop including the airport), ideally a monorail.

Like it or not "if" this is ever built and i must admit i have my doubts, the people that'll use it will be business leaders, and professional people the majority of which you'll find living in the western suburbs of Sheffield, what is the point of an hours drive (in rush hour) to Tinsley (an area which is heavily congested at the best of times) when a 20 min bus ride to town is possible. The councillor is right this could be a massive opportunity to regenerate that area of the city centre bringing new business and jobs. Also regarding Sheffield airport forget it, it'll never ever become a regional airport nevermind international.

Why are our business leaders driving to Tinsley but taking the bus to the city centre? If you are using public transport it's a 5 minute train from the city centre to meadowhall after your 20 minute bus ride. If you are driving good luck parking in the centre cheaply but at Meadowhall HS2 have the opportunity to offer parking with the train fare.

I have seen one or two articles in the last three weeks which have been along the lines of,"it WILL cut straight through our bird sanctuary, or golf course etc". Prior to this it was always "IF hs2,etc".but I don't recall a decision being made, so has a decision been made ?

I have seen one or two articles in the last three weeks which have been along the lines of,"it WILL cut straight through our bird sanctuary, or golf course etc". Prior to this it was always "IF hs2,etc".but I don't recall a decision being made, so has a decision been made ?

Consultation period ends January 2014. Followed by final route, Acts of Parliament and contract procedures etc

Maps etc here

Edited by Annie Bynnol

No. Moreover, the same type of NIMBY complaints preceded just about every new transport installation. It happened with the M1; and, before that, with the original railway lines; and, before that, with the canals!

No. Moreover, the same type of NIMBY complaints preceded just about every new transport installation. It happened with the M1; and, before that, with the original railway lines; and, before that, with the canals!

Yes, exactly the same with supertram.

Yes, exactly the same with supertram.

And do the erstwhile protestors now use the facilities against which they were so vociferous?

[A: yes.]

The reason it can't be in Sheffield city centre is:

1) the hills

2) residential south Sheffield

Both these are in the way and would require enormous demolition or tunnelling to get a HS line to the centre.

Therefore the options are - Sheffield East or no stop for Sheffield.

What does need to happen though is a good transport link installed between Sheffield East and Sheffield centre (and maybe a loop including the airport), ideally a monorail.

It's not just that. HS2 is primarily for business, to make it easier for business personnel to travel, to encourage businesses to move office/facilities up here in order boost the local economy. Not to encourage shoppers into Sheffield City Centre.

Most of the business in Sheffield these days is concentrated in the business parks around Meadowhall so it makes absolutely NO sense to have HS2 in the city centre.

In today's Star our Lib Dem leader councillor Shaffaq Mohammed calls for the HS2 to have a station located on the old Victoria Station site at the Wicker.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/barnsley/bring_high_speed_rail_to_wicker_1_3663432

His main argument seems to be that this location is easier to get to for most of Sheffield's citizens than the site at Meadowhall/Tinsley and that it would help to regenerate a run down part of the city.

An area of the city that already had millions spent on it in regeneration projects and still looks like a dump because of those that frequent the area not taking any pride and looking after it.

Most of the business in Sheffield these days is concentrated in the business parks around Meadowhall so it makes absolutely NO sense to have HS2 in the city centre.

This is Sheffield Forum so it's obviously biased in favour of Sheffield.

However, those making the business and construction cases for HS2 are looking to give improved services to inhabitants of Rotherham and Barnsley as well as Sheffield from an HS2 station. For them Meadowhall is a far better proposition than coming into Sheffield by any form of transport.

Travelling from South West Sheffield I always go south from Chesterfield, so the retention of existing Midland mainline services will be as useful for me as going to Meadowhall, even after allowing for a faster service on HS2. Meadowhall is as quick to get to by car as the City centre, so there'd be absolutely no advantage to me in a central station.

For travellers going north to Leeds, Newcastle or Edinburgh any diversion of the line into the centre of Sheffield would add to the travel times as well as costs, so it's not a viable proposition.

Not a favourable to the North as thought.

"A study by centre-right think tank the Institute of Economic Affairs said the north of England would not see the kind of economic benefits promised"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27184269

Who are these Think Tanks, what makes their opinions better than anyone elses, what is their make-up and funding and why are there so many of them?