HS2 train stop in Sheffield

I think you might be over exaggerating just how wide the railway will be and just how narrow the country is...

The country is narrow and there are already roads, railway lines, houses, factories, big hills etc all over it and in the way of potential north-south routes. There aren't vast tracts of empty land in the right places just waiting for a new railway, big stations and local connections to be built. In contrast, in countries of much larger areas with towns spread out more, it's a lot easier to build new rail lines with less disruption and cost.

The option of not building it at all needs to be re-evaluated too.

Are you sure that the option of not building wasn't already considered?

Are you sure that the option of not building wasn't already considered?

Obviously it was considered initially, I'm saying it needs to be reconsidered before it reaches the point of not being able to cancel it. Surely that is reasonable?

The option still exists of our representatives (the govt) saying "you know what, we've had another look at this HS2 thing and, all in all, yes it'd be nice, but frankly it's not worth the political grief in all those constituencies and the massive cost, for something that won't be finished for decades and which won't benefit today's politicians (ie us) at all."

I'm all in favour of railways, I'd much rather get a nice train than drive whenever possible, but I do wonder if this whole scheme is really worth the bother. I'd much rather money was spent on connections to Manchester. We can already get to London in 2 hours and the service is pretty good these days.

It's not just about speed though, it's also about increasing capacity.

Obviously it was considered initially, I'm saying it needs to be reconsidered before it reaches the point of not being able to cancel it. Surely that is reasonable?

How many times does it need to be considered and decided against? Why is once not enough?

The option still exists of our representatives (the govt) saying "you know what, we've had another look at this HS2 thing and, all in all, yes it'd be nice, but frankly it's not worth the political grief in all those constituencies and the massive cost, for something that won't be finished for decades and which won't benefit today's politicians (ie us) at all."

That's a rather short term view, I'd rather they looked at the long term benefits instead of considering whether it will get them re-elected in 5 years time.

People seem to be missing the fundamental reason for this being built. There is an understanding that London and the south east is unsustainably over populated and that there has to be more options for people in the south east to live further away and still be in commuting distance of their London office. Putting Sheffield within 1hour 15 minutes commuting distance means that the city will become a very attractive proposition for many people who want a better quality home life but who still want to work in the capital with all the benefits it brings them. I recall reading in an online business website that Sheffield could see it's population rise to 600,000 in just a few years with all the financial benefits that will create for the city.

People seem to be missing the fundamental reason for this being built. There is an understanding that London and the south east is unsustainably over populated and that there has to be more options for people in the south east to live further away and still be in commuting distance of their London office.

There are options available to solve that problem at a cost of nil and a lead time of nothing. Just move some of the offices. After all, so much can be done online nowadays that there isn't actually a pressing reason why most companies need to be in London.

There are options available to solve that problem at a cost of nil and a lead time of nothing. Just move some of the offices. After all, so much can be done online nowadays that there isn't actually a pressing reason why most companies need to be in London.

Agreed.....except that's where the 'vibe' is, that's where the history, culture, pomp and ceremony is, it's where the power and influence lies and, to use an aphorism (love that word), 'you have to be in it to win it'.

Of course it also works the other way in that it makes it easier to live in London and work in Sheffield so to use another aphorism, it's a 'win win situation'.:cool:

But the only reason that the influence and power lies in London, is because it lies in London. If you moved it then it wouldn't lie there.

But the only reason that the influence and power lies in London, is because it lies in London. If you moved it then it wouldn't lie there.

No, that's not the only reason it lies in London. It's there because geographically London is the nearest area to Europe so quite appropriate that it should be so densely populated and have the kind of power and influence that that large population dictates.

No, that's not the only reason it lies in London. It's there because geographically London is the nearest area to Europe ...

....er, you do know that the whole reason this thread exists is because distance is not a factor in today's world? High speed trains can render it a moot question whether you live five miles from London or five hundred. That applies to where you work as well.

....er, you do know that the whole reason this thread exists is because distance is not a factor in today's world? High speed trains can render it a moot question whether you live five miles from London or five hundred. That applies to where you work as well.

The reason this thread exists is because I decided to start it.:D

Distance is not a factor as long as you have the infrastructure in place to make it so. As for the internet, I suggest you 'don't over egg the pudding' (another aphorism:)) in regard to it's importance in the business world.