HS2 train stop in Sheffield

Here's the (very rough) route I expect HS2 to take, based on the rumours and discussions I've read:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=

210155476846284269415.0004a7028d801cf5385bd

Worth noting that there is still a very real chance that only one branch from Birmingham will be built (if any at all!), going to Manchester then Leeds.

Why would the Nunnery Square site not be serving South Yorks? it would be easily accessible with the transport links that already in place.

or..............you could take my second location next to Forgemasters-here-http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Nunnery+Square&hl=en&ll=53.38553,-1.441741&spn=0.009266,0.0212&t=h&z=16, which goes straight on to Leeds but doesn't have the transport links.

You keep linking to Nunnery Square...

How is Nunnery Square a much better location given everything that has just been said? The platforms need to be 3/4 times longer for crying out loud!

Have you seen how big that site is!it's about 5 times bigger then the current station!

there is still a very real chance that only one branch from Birmingham will be built (if any at all!), going to Manchester then Leeds.

OK; so London-Birmingham-Sheffield-Manchester-Leeds.

And you've not said how you'd get a train north out of Tinsley without a sharp corner or demolishing Meadowhall (tempting, but not going to happen).

The sharp corner wouldn't be a problem as it's so close to the Tinsley site so the train would still be gathering speed as it went around the corner where it quickly hits the straight line at lower Wincobank to accelerate to Leeds.

OK; so London-Birmingham-Sheffield-Manchester-Leeds.

Nope, no Sheffield loop. Just London - Birmingham - Manchester - Leeds. The only real argument for bringing it to Sheffield is that it's on the way to Leeds, and it might kick start some development. If Leeds wasn't just up the road then the CBR would immediately rule it out coming here.

If the CBR for two branches doesn't work out, a single branch should get through serving the two biggest northern economies. Missing Sheffield out on a single branch would improve that CBR.

Hmmm, okay, not really wasteland then... But lets assume the council could get the land. What about the other objections, particularly the one about actually getting the train to that location and then continuing north to Leeds (going to Manchester simply isn't an option).

Have you seen how big that site is!it's about 5 times bigger then the current station!

And where's the space for thousands of cars that will clog up the site and the roads around which are already much more congested than the airport link road that connects to the Tinsley site?

Er, if the eastern branch turns right, it goes southwards or even more east!

Did you mean "...suddenly turning left..."?

I did. I was holding my mental map upside down by accident.

No you dont!

And if we get a stop, which if built I'm sure we will, it wont be in Tinsley.

Yes you do, been held up several times, both to and from London, also been held by freight.