Chinese Students!

They aren't Chinese they are Malaysian. They study over the summer at the universities. The Indian students are Sri Lankan too as far as I'm aware. They are here for the same reason and provide a much needed financial boost to the universities so be nice lol!

They are Indian! Well the vast majority of the indians students I have spoken to have told me that they hail from hyderabad which is in India.

Sorry, I don't get this? Sri Lanka is not in India so we don't call them Indians?!

That is correct.

same here, lots of student types.

They aren't Chinese they are Malaysian. They study over the summer at the universities. The Indian students are Sri Lankan too as far as I'm aware. They are here for the same reason and provide a much needed financial boost to the universities so be nice lol!

The Chinese students could be both.

There's a summer programme for Hallam uni with a local college in Malaysia popular with Malaysian students of Chinese ethnicity so matsalleh's right. The students treat it like a semester of study and travel, so they get the 'going abroad' experience for a few months without needing to pay an entire year's tuition. The university also get to fill its classes and student flats which would've been empty otherwise.

I think a lot of Taiwanese/Chinese students come the summer before they start a full on 3 year course for an English language immersion though - most of them would be proficient in reading and writing, but not have the speaking/listening skills as they've not had the chance to practice their English at home.

There's a summer programme for Hallam uni with a local college in Malaysia popular with Malaysian students of Chinese ethnicity so matsalleh's right. The students treat it like a semester of study and travel, so they get the 'going abroad' experience for a few months without needing to pay an entire year's tuition. The university also get to fill its classes and student flats which would've been empty otherwise.

I think a lot of Taiwanese/Chinese students come the summer before they start a full on 3 year course for an English language immersion though - most of them would be proficient in reading and writing, but not have the speaking/listening skills as they've not had the chance to practice their English at home.

I see a lot near Broad Lane at lunchtime but is that part of Hallam Uni?

I must admit though they seem to be quite poor at crossing roads :huh:

The UoS has a large contingency of Chinese students, mainly in PostGrad for the departments that I know, although there are a lot of UnderGrad students as well. As remarked, they are usually nice people that have an experience of a life time in Sheffield, so it is great if we can make them feel welcome like only Sheffielders can!

Big question

how many come and study in sheffield and never go back.yes they do bring lots of funds to to uni but when people are working illegaly and not pay tax etc.is taking jobs from people that could be working and not on dss and costing gov millions.its all over the country.good on those that come and study and go back to there own country asap.

My brother cant get over the fact the Chinese take photos of everything so he saw some other day and took photos of them !!!!! Why are they so obsessed with taking photos

It doesn't really matter about the Chinese taking photos does it? I think it's part of Chinese culture to take photos. Plus, they're overseas students, they may want to record their experience in England, and/or share their photo's with friends/family back home.

I have an undergraduate degree with honours from The University of Sheffield, I never had any problems with Chinese students. They were polite, shy, and largely kept themselves to themselves. I think that the Chinese, measure themselves by how successful they are, and how they live their lives. They don't hurt anybody else, why are you bothered?

Besides, when the British go abroad, they always act British. We largely stay with other British people, go to British pubs, etc etc. And wreck every place we go to, thinking that we're better than everybody else. No wonder we're hated.

Don't be to concerned with what other people do, you're being very un-Dude as Walter would say from The Big Lebowski.

Big question

how many come and study in sheffield and never go back.yes they do bring lots of funds to to uni but when people are working illegaly and not pay tax etc.is taking jobs from people that could be working and not on dss and costing gov millions.its all over the country.good on those that come and study and go back to there own country asap.

Do you want to try and explain that post ?

As your about it no doubt you will supply some evidence that vast swathes of students remain and work illegally thus depriving the poor unfortunate indigenous population of the jobs those students then go on to do. Just let me think - study in the UK as a chinese student - good plan. Cost of three years of fees and maintenance - huge but hey it will be a cracking degree and I can learn a good deal about another country and culture.

Now I have my degree I am going to find a job and work illegally - utter garbage but I will wait to be corrected obvs